How to Cast Your Cares Upon the Lord
By Courtnaye Richard
“Cast your cares upon the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.” – Psalm 55:22
I want God to speak to you with the verse above, and I want you to apply it to your life today. In other words, as hard as it may be or seem right now, cast your cares upon the Lord and stand your ground. Keep the faith no matter what and believe in His keeping and strengthening power.
I know when life gets heavy or negative or fearful thoughts invade your mind, it’s normal to run away with your emotions for a bit. But I beckon you, try to rise above it. Now, don’t get me wrong. If you’re dealing with something really heavy such as loss, it is completely normal to cry, grieve, curl up in a ball for a moment, because when things like that happen, God knows exactly where you are in that moment. But I also want to encourage you to rest in the comfort of others as well as in His BIG supernatural arms. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:4, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
Now, since I mentioned God’s Word, let’s talk more about those loaded Scriptures relating to casting your cares upon the Lord regarding…
Fear - If you have negative or fearful thoughts weighing you down, speak these verses:
· Psalm 56:3, “But when I am afraid. I will put my trust in you.”
· Psalm 26:3, “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!”
· Philippians 4:8, “Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”
Worry - Here are a few great verses to remember and obey to experience peace of mind…
· Philippians 4:6-7, “Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ.”
· Matthew 6:31-33, “Don’t worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.”
Discouragement – Feeling downcast, defeated, low, sad, or discouraged, grab these nuggets…
· Psalm 43:5, “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again-my Savior and my God!”
· Joshua 1:9, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified: do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Adversity –As you’re doing what God has called you to do, expect opposition and adversity…
· Nehemiah 4:14, “…Don’t be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your friends, your families, and your homes!”
· Proverbs 24:10, “If you fail under pressure, your strength is too small.” Stay strong under pressure!
If you are in any of these places or beyond, this is how you cast your cares upon the Lord, literally. It really all boils down to trust and obeying, sis. That’s where the power, peace, and deliverance are obtained. So fight to trust Him…in spite of what you’re feeling, thinking, or encountering. Isaiah 26:4 says, “Trust in the Lord always for the Lord is the eternal Rock.” He’s pretty strong and solid! But not only that, He can be trusted. ;-)
Remember, Jesus is coming back soon! And those who endure unto the end shall be saved. So let’s be ready from the Inside Out!
Content for this devotional was taken from Casting Your Cares Upon the Lord by Courtnaye Richard. You can read that piece in full here.
Have you listened to our newest podcast, The Bible Never Said That? In it, we unpack some of the most popular "spiritual statements" that have made their way into popular culture and the church, even though they are not theologically sound. Check it out and let us know what you think!