Haggai Says to Worship Our God of Sacrifice
"Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple to lie in ruins?" Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: "Consider your ways!" -Haggai 1:4-5, emphasis added
There are seven timeless truths about God that we can trace from the pages of Haggai:
1. The Lord we love is powerful.In this short book, the Lord is called by a name of His power-"the Lord of Hosts"-which was Haggai's favorite name for God. In using this name, our Lord God Almighty reveals the vastness of His control.
2. The Lord we love is jealous:"Thus speaks the Lord . . . : ‘This people says, "The time has not come . . . that the Lord's house should be built." ‘ " Then the word of the Lord came by Haggai the prophet, saying, "Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple to lie in ruins?" (Haggai 1:2-4). The Lord often uses the name Jealous to describe himself. He expects to be given top priority, regardless of what is going on in our lives.
3. The Lord we love is expecting a response from us:"You looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?" says the Lord of hosts. "Because of My house that is in ruins, while every one of you runs to his own house" (Haggai 1:9).
5. The Lord we love is changeless:" ‘The glory of this latter Temple shall be greater than the former,' says the Lord of hosts. ‘And in this place I will give peace,' says the Lord of hosts"(Haggai 2:9). The Lord is the same "yesterday, today, and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). He is not tied to our museums of past greatness. God wants to live powerfully in and through us today.
6. The Lord we love is blessing:" ‘Is the seed still in the barn? As yet the vine, the fig tree, the pomegranate, and the olive tree have not yielded fruit. But from this day I will bless you' " (Haggai 2:19). Though He had to judge their past sins, there is blessing on the horizon.
7. The Lord we love is personal:" ‘In that day,' says the Lord of hosts, ‘I will take you, Zerubbabel My servant, the son of Shealtiel,' says the Lord, ‘and will make you like a signet ring; for I have chosen you,' says the Lord of hosts" (Haggai 2:23). After the word of wrath coming on the nations, the Lord assured an individual named Zerubbabel that he would be specially used of the Lord. God has big plans for each of us. Don't miss His plans for you!
The Lord we love--our great God of sacrifice--is powerful, jealous, trustworthy, changeless, and personal. And this wonderful Lord expects a response from us: worship. When we give Him the honor in our lives that He deserves, He loves to pour out His blessings upon us! Where does He rank in your own priorities?
To find this message online, please click here.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.