No Greater Power Than Praying Marriages
Paul distilled the life of a believer down to one word in I Thessalonians 1:10– WAIT. We are waiting for Jesus, waiting for the Kingdom, waiting upon Him who loved us and loosed us from our sins. But what do we do while we wait? That is answered in I Thessalonians 5:17 “pray without ceasing”.
Parenting is life long. Praying keeps us on the front lines of our children’s lives – all through our lives. Successful parenting of a godly family only has two requirements: get started in prayer and never quit that praying.
Before we are parents we are praying, while we are up to our ears in those child filled years we are praying, and after they launch out into their own lives we are praying.
My philosophy of great parenting is that you raise a godly family – one prayer at a time.
Prayer is the key to raising, nurturing, and launching children that please the Lord. This morning is a practical, how to lesson in learning how to pray for our children.
So, how do we pray for our children if we are parents? And how do we direct our lives if we are young people? And how do we live together if we are married today? Or what do we look for if we are single and waiting today? Here we go, into God's Word to find all the answers from the Author and establisher of Marriage Himself. Lets turn back to the 1st book of the Bible Genesis. As parents pray that your children:
1. Pray that they FOLLOW GOD’S RULES FOR A WONDERFUL MARRIAGE. Genesis 2:18, And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Genesis 2:20 So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. By the way a big part of the glue is the sexual intimacy marriage provides. Have you ever licked and envelope or pulled the sealer tape, sealed it and then remembered something else and unsealed it? It doesn’t work the second or third time does it? Don’t ruin the glue of your marriage by playing with it or you will find that you are not secure in your marriage, glued together as one. Your husband or wife should be the only person you have ever experienced physical intimacy with. The first one you have loved, touched, held, and seen in any intimate way. Anything less than that will spell woes, pains, troubles, and grief for a lifetime.
2. Pray that they WANT A PURE HOME. Deuteronomy 6:7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:9You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates; 6:14 You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the peoples who are all around you; 7:25-26 You shall burn the carved images of their gods with fire; you shall not covet the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it for yourselves, lest you be snared by it; for it is an abomination to the Lord your God. 26 Nor shall you bring an abomination into your house, lest you be doomed to destruction like it. You shall utterly detest it and utterly abhor it, for it is an accursed thing. Psalm 106:35 But they mingled with the Gentiles And learned their works;
3. Pray that they KEEP THEIR WORD.. Psalm 15:4 In whose eyes a vile person is despised, But he honors those who fear the Lord; He who swears to his own hurt and does not change;
4. Pray that they STAY MILES AWAY FROM THE WICKED PERSON OF PROVERBS. Proverbs 5:1-3 My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding: 2 That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge. 3For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: Proverbs 7:1,10-11 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee. 10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtle of heart. 11 (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
5. Pray that they FOCUS ON LISTENING. Song of Solomon 2:14-15 “O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret places of the cliff, Let me see your face, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your face is lovely.” 15 Catch us the foxes, The little foxes that spoil the vines, For our vines have tender grapes. James 1:19 So then my beloved brethren, let everyone be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to wrath.
6. Pray that they HAVE A PEACE FILLED LIFE. Isaiah 32:17 The work of righteousness will be peace, And the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever. Isaiah 57:20-21But the wicked are like the troubled sea, When it cannot rest, Whose waters cast up mire and dirt. 21 “There is no peace,” Says my God, “for the wicked.”
7. Pray that they NEVER BREAK THEIR COVENANT WITH GOD. Malachi 2:14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
8. Pray that they SPEND TIME WITH YOU. Mark 3:14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach,
To Continue this message please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.dtbm.org/sermon/no-greater-power-than-praying-marriages/