Discover the Ministry of Jesus
What Lessons in serving can we learn from John?
How are we to serve Jesus? John teaches four principles to maintain daily spiritual ministry. They are:
1. We can serve Christ ANYPLACE (John was isolated on Patmos, far from home in
2. We can serve Christ ANYTIME (John was old and near death. There are no limits to what God can do through us no matter what our age.
3. We can serve Christ ANYWAY (John was only able to worship, no witnessing, no church work, no preaching, etc.
4. We can serve Christ ANYHOW (John was suffering loneliness, pain, discouragement, spiritual oppression, etc.
Wherever John went he could see Jesus!
SOMETIME in the later part of the first century AD,
SOMEWHERE out in the azure green of the Aegean Sea, off the coast of Turkey was a barren island...a Roman penal colony - a rock quarry that cut stones for imperial temples and buildings.
To that colony island a boat carrying John the last apostle made its way. John was the last of the empire’s greatest enemies. John was known as the final living member of Christ's inner circle. Rumor rolled across the empire about Jesus. It was said that His powers were unspeakable. John meditated on what Jesus had done wherever he went. Jesus had demonstrated His:
- Power over Nature
- Power to still storms
- Power to cause trees to wither
- Power to touch dead bodies and cause them to spring to life.
- Power to put eyes into empty sockets,
- Power to put ears on mutilated heads,
- Power to put hands on decayed lepers,
- Power to put tongues into silent and speechless lips... and power to be wherever John was taken
And now to Patmos - wizened and stooping, grey and halting, perhaps 80 years old, and scarred by the fight....but no matter where he was,
- He was never far from his beloved Lord Jesus Christ.
- Jesus was never out of sight for him.
- Like a landmark or lighthouse - If we keep Jesus always in sight, and never out of sight, we never need to feel alone, abandoned, desolate and useless.
Now, How do We Serve God?
Let’s take the Scriptures mandate on this. Listen to Jesus
Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ” NKJV.
What is God's order for service? Service is to flow out of worship. No worship, no service.
Does ministry ever get dull, tedious and wearying? That is a warning sign that the oil of worship is running low.
Worship always comes before service. Now what is worship?
Worshiping God by the Word
Look with me at Philippians 3:3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, NASB
Worship is the SUBMISSION of all our nature to God. How?
- QUICKENING of our conscience by His holiness;
- NOURISHMENT of mind by His truth;
- PURIFYING of imagination by His beauty;
- OPENING of our hearts by His love;
- SUBMISSION of our wills to His purpose
- All of this gathered up in adoration is the greatest of all expressions of which we are capable.
One clear way that God uses to invites our worship is by revealing Himself through Divine Names. The Lord unveils His deity through more than 67 names and titles used in 404 verses over these 22 chapters. They are real treasures to find as you read. In chapter one we can find there are no less than 8 magnificent titles of Christ:
- He is the Faithful Witness,
- First Begotten of the Dead,
- Prince of the kings of the earth,
- The Alpha and Omega,
- The Beginning and Ending,
- The Almighty,
- The Son of Man,
- The Living One.
First, Revelation is a revelation of Jesus and His Person. This is through His many names. Many we know - “He is the Lord, the Word, Jesus, Christ, Master, King, Lamb, Lion, Morning Star, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, First and Last .” But the truth is He has no less than 67 names and titles used in 22 chapters.
Is Your Bible a Worship Guide for You?
Could I challenge you? Find all the names and titles of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in this book. When you do you will be well on the way to growing in your ability to worship.
Steps to Grow into Worshiping Jesus all the time
Listen to what one man who spent years meditating on worship has written: Worship is something we do. Studying the theology of worship and debating the forms of worship are all good, but by themselves they are inadequate. In the final analysis we learn to worship by worshiping. Let me give a few simple steps that I hope will help in the experience of worship.
First worship must become a daily habit. Learn to practice noticing God's presence sometime each day.
- Really try to follow Paul's words, "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17,KJV).
- Punctuate every moment with inward whisperings of adoration, praise, and thanksgiving. Psalm 55:17 Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, and He will hear my voice. NASB
Have personal times of inner worship and confession and Bible study and attentiveness to Christ, your present Teacher. Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. NASB
To Read or Hear this entire sermon including additional steps to worship please copy and paste this URL into your browser bar: http://www.discoverthebook.org/sermons_read.asp?id=161