I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage – they’ve experienced pain and bought jewelry. — Rita Rudner
God created marriage to strip away our flesh and make us more like Jesus. If we bail on marriage to get away from this pain, however, we actually cause more of it.
Lie 6: The kids will be better if we divorce.
Several studies have proven the devastating effects divorce has on children. There is a negative impact on their emotions, behavior patterns, compliance with rules, and self-image, to name a few. The truth is the kids will be worse off if you divorce. Instead of seeing a couple give up on each other, it is far better that children see parents who:
- Focus on Christ—Kids need to see authorities be faithful to Christ and see how He is conforming them to Himself.
- Seek outside help—Kids need to know that it’s okay not to know all the answers. They need to see parents seeking out and confiding in others.
- Crucify their flesh—Kids need to see adults look to others with compassion.
- Break old patterns—Kids need a role model that removes their bad habits and focuses on Jesus.
- Forgive forever—Kids need to see parents who forgive and are willing to work on past hurts.
- Trust in Christ—Kids need to learn that Christ is the only one who always provides and always supports us.
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up….
…A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)
Our kids need to live in a home where both parents work through the hardship of marriage together, exemplifying that while marriage is hard it’s so very worth the commitment!
God, for the good of my kids and everyone around me, I place myself in Your hands now. I hold my children dear in my heart. Reveal to me how I can be a better spiritual leader to them by walking in Your Spirit today. Amen.
Listen to Pete, Jill & Stuart Briscoe on the Telling the Truth broadcast at OnePlace.com