April 26, 2017
A Half-Hearted Christian Life
He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, but not wholeheartedly. 2 Chronicles 25:2
Today's verse describes King Amaziah, who was twenty-five years old when he became king of Judah and reigned for almost three decades. I have to admit this verse haunts me.
I believe this verse describes the following:
• A person who comes to Christ early in his life but never really owns his faith.
• A person who is more into the practice of church than love for Christ.
• A person whose insightful comments during the Bible study are seldom personally applied.
• A person who does good spiritual things while suffering from spiritual anemia.
• A person more concerned about pleasing people than God.
• A businessman who is "all about Christ" ... kind of ... and all about the almighty dollar ... for sure.
• A spouse who stays in a marriage but does not honor God through the marriage.
• A parent who is more into coaching his child in a sport than mentoring his child for life.
This verse describes exactly what I don't want to do and exactly who I don't want to be. It describes a half-hearted follower of Christ, who does the right things but not necessarily for the right reasons. Let's not allow this verse to describe us.
Father, show me if this verse describes who I am. Help me to make the changes today so that this verse does not define my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.