Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 1 Peter 2:1
On my last trip overseas I was determined to get everything in one mid-sized suitcase. No way was I going to lug two suitcases and my backpack around airports, hotels, and missionaries' homes. So I had to make some decisions. After my first packing attempt, I needed a do-over. There was some stuff I had to leave behind. After my second attempt, I needed a do-over-over! Finally, the bag shut without looking like the zipper was going to break apart and I was good to go.
The journey of life calls for us to travel light. There are some things we must leave behind. Forget the weariness that comes with the extra weight; the things mentioned in today's passage will bring you to a spiritual halt.
- Malice: the desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another.
- Deceit: distorting the truth in order to mislead someone.
- Hypocrisy: from the Greek hypokrisis--play acting.
- Envy: coveting the advantages, success, or possessions of others.
- Slander: attacking the reputation of someone with your words or writing.
These things must be left behind. They cannot be part of the journey.
Father, show me if I have malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy, or slander in my life. Please give me the strength to get rid of them when they are apparent. In Jesus' name. Amen.