Read Matthew 20:26-28
"Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave--just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve."
• Do you strive to be a servant leader?
As popular author Henry T. Blackaby points out, "He will take whatever time is necessary to grow your character to match His assignment for you. . . . Character-building can be long and painful. It took 25 years before God entrusted Abraham with his first son and set in motion the establishment of the nation of Israel. Yet God was true to His Word."
Men and women who lead the way possess five distinct character qualities. They are:
• Those who love God with all their heart, mind, and soul
• Those who lay down their life for others
• Those who humble themselves, taking on the very nature of a servant
• Those who nurture love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control
• Those who walk with honor, integrity, holiness, purity
Consider the observations of A.W. Tozer:"If the church is to prosper spiritually she must have spiritual leadership, not leadership by majority vote. It is highly significant that when the apostle Paul found it necessary to ask for obedience among the young churches he never appealed to them on the grounds that he had been duly elected to office. He asserted his authority as an apostle appointed by the Head of the church. He held his position by right of sheer spiritual ascendancy, the only earthly right that should be honored among the children of the new creation."
Lord, shape my character as You prepare me to fulfill Your purpose.Grow me into a person who is strong in faith and obedient to You. Amen.