In Touch Daily Devotional
by Dr. Charles Stanley
Thursday, May 13
InTouch Early Light Devotional
Goal Setting: The Key to Success
If you have ever been locked out of your house, you have experienced how important keys are. In the Christian life, goal setting is an important key that opens the door to Christ-like living. Identifying goals affects us in a number of ways.
1. Excitement is renewed. When we are not clear on our direction, enthusiasm wanes. Excitement comes as we strive toward our goals and see God at work transforming us.
2. Direction replaces drifting. Without goals, we lose sight of where we are headed and instead begin to drift. Complacency replaces passion and we start thinking, "This is just who I am." Goals help us focus on who we are becoming.
3. Excellence replaces mediocrity. Without focus, we start living a hum-drum, "don't bother me" way of life. Working toward goals counters mediocrity.
4. Our attitudes will improve. When we do not like the choices we are making, we become quick to criticize others. When we are following God's plan, we will feel better about ourselves and relate more positively to others.
5. Life will be rewarding. If we live life for ourselves, we will be disappointed. Goal setting will help us wisely use time, energy, resources, and talents that the Lord has placed at our disposal. Life is a gift from Him, and we are to be good stewards of it. Without goals, that is difficult.
You can identify distractions and evaluate opportunities more easily by comparing them to your established goals. Then choices become clearer, and the benefits of goal setting - enthusiasm, direction, excellence, improved attitude, and reward - can be yours.
Make sure you tune in for this week's message from Dr. Stanley. For expanded studies and outlines of this week's sermon, visit the In Touch Web site. http://www.intouch.org/myintouch/broadcasts/index_76108.html
Do your teenagers know about Teen Connection - the official teen outreach of In Touch? The latest interviews include Philip Yancey, Point of Grace, ZOEGirl and Rebecca St. James. Visit Teen Connection at www.teen-connection.info.