What Christian Citizens Must Do
When the godly are in authority, the people rejoice (Proverbs 29:2).
In my last letter, I mentioned that some years ago, concerned with complacency by many Christians, I published a powerful little booklet titled, "Your 5 Duties as a Christian Citizen."
It is important that I summarize those five duties with you:
1. PRAY. Pray that God will send a great spiritual awakening to America. Pray for God's promise to heal a repentant nation according to 2 Chronicles 7:14. Pray without ceasing that God will move on the hearts of leaders in office, and that He will put godly leaders in office from the precinct to the White House. Pray that God will use you to be a witness and as an instrument of change.
2. REGISTER TO VOTE. If you are not already registered, do so at once. In some national elections, as well as for local offices, the winner is elected by a very small number of citizens because most did not vote. To serve God as a citizen, you must be a regularly participating voter, and you cannot do that without registering. Voting is a matter of stewardship.
3. BECOME INFORMED. Just as an untrained soldier is at the mercy of the enemy, so uninformed Christians cannot prevail against evil forces in the world of politics. Here are some ideas: Read about the issues -- many sources of information are available; organize, lead or participate in a study group to inform yourself about the structure of government, the issues, the candidates, and their views. But knowledge must result in action...
4. HELP ELECT GODLY PEOPLE. Help elect men and women of God to public office at the local, state and national levels. Support them faithfully throughout their terms of public service by lovingly sharing with them the biblical views on the issues, praying for them, and encouraging them. Help support righteous rule, which brings rejoicing: "With good men in authority, the people rejoice; but with the wicked in power, they groan" (Proverbs 29:2, LB). Another way you can help is by being a precinct volunteer.
5. VOTE. Your one vote carries as much weight as that of a billionaire, a corporation president, or a top government leader. Vote consistently in every election. Exercise the influence God has given you through our unique system of self-government.
By God's grace, and with your prayers and efforts, we can help restore biblical moral and ethical standards in our nation.
Yours for fulfilling the Great Commission each year until our Lord returns,
The late Dr. Bill Bright was Founder and President/Chairman Emeritus of Campus Crusade for Christ, an organization which began as a campus ministry in 1951 and now has more than 27,000 full-time staff and up to 500,000 trained volunteer staff in 196 countries in areas representing 99.6 percent of the world's population. In the past 50 years, Campus Crusade for Christ has seen approximately 6 billion exposures to the gospel worldwide. The film, "JESUS," which Bright conceived and funded through Campus Crusade for Christ, is the most widely translated and viewed film of any type ever produced. Since its use began in 1980, the film has been translated into 839 languages and viewed or listened to by over 5.7 billion people in 228 countries. Dr. Bright was also the author of more than fifty books. Visit campuscrusade.com for more details
Copyright (c) 2003, Bill Bright. All rights reserved. However, readers may copy and distribute this message as desired, without restrictions in number, as long as the content is not altered. Forwarding this e-mail to friends is encouraged. For many evangelistic and spiritual growth materials, visit the Campus Crusade for Christ Web site at ccci.org. See campuscrusade.com for Bill Bright's own materials.