...With praise and thanksgiving
- Charlie Jones & Bob Kelly
- 2000 20 Nov
It's so easy for us to be grateful when everything's going our way, but it becomes difficult to maintain that attitude when the road gets rough, when a loved one dies, when we become ill, or when financial reverses strike. We need to have a thankful spirit even in times of trial, confident that God has promised to be with us always and never to leave us or forsake us.
Closely intertwined with an attitude of gratitude should be one of praise - praise to God because of who He is and because of all He has done for us.
Why is it important to praise God? Certainly He has no need of our praises. Nor will all the praise in the world change Him in any way. Instead, praising God changes us.
Another word for praise that's often used in Scripture is magnify. If you were to look at the words on this page through a magnifying glass, it would not change their size, shape, or meaning in any way. All that would change would be your perception, and the words would appear larger and clearer. So it is when you praise or magnify God. He isn't changed, but your perception of Him is - you see Him in a new light, from a new perspective, and more clearly.
- Be joyful always...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (I Thess. 5:16,18).
- Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise, give thanks to Him and praise His name (Ps. 100.4).
- It will be a foretaste of heaven to us here below, if we are able to thank God for all His infinite goodness with all our heart. Gratitude does nothing but love God because of the greatness of His bounty and proclaims His goodness unceasingly. - Ottokar Prohaszka
- Praise is almost the only thing we do on earth that we shall not cease to do in heaven. - Samuel Brengle
- Prayer crowns God with the honor and glory due to His name. - Thomas Benton Brooks
- Too often we forget to thank God for answered prayer. Praise is the proper punctuation mark for an answered prayer. - Cadle Call
- You don't have to be afraid of praising God too much; unlike humans He never gets a big head. - Paul Dibble
- It is always possible to be thankful for what is given rather than to complain about what is not given. One or the other becomes a habit of life. - Elisabeth Elliot
- The Christian should be an alleluia from head to foot. - Saint Augustine
- God gave you the gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say thank you? - William A. Ward
Charlie "Tremendous" Jones, after a successful insurance career, formed Life Management Services, Inc., and Executive Books, which distributes thousands of his favorite books. He has authored many books, including Life is Tremendous - 7 Laws of Leadership. Charlie has been named one of the top 50 speakers of 20th century by The National Speakers Association.
Bob Kelly is founder of WordCrafters, Inc., which provides writing and editorial services for churches, ministries, and businesses. A former bank president, ministry executive, and newspaper editor, he is the author of In Celebration of Children and Presenting the Tournament of Roses, and has co-authored 11 pictorial history books.
From The Tremendous Power of Prayer by Charlie "Tremendous" Jones and Bob Kelly, copyright (c) 2000. Used by permission of Howard Publishing, Inc., West Monroe, La., 1-800-858-4109.