The Panama Canal Zone - February 23
- 2018 23 Feb
The Panama Canal Zone was acquired by the United States FEBRUARY 23, 1904, for ten million dollars. Planned by 25th President William McKinley, construction on the canal began under 26th President Theodore Roosevelt. On December 6, 1912, 27th President William Taft addressed Congress: "Our defense of the Panama Canal, together with our enormous world trade and our missionary outposts on the frontiers of civilization, require us to recognize our position as one of the foremost in the family of nations..." Taft continued: "and to clothe ourselves with sufficient naval power to give force to our reasonable demands, and to give weight to our influence in those directions of progress that a powerful Christian nation should advocate." 28th President Woodrow Wilson stated in his Thanksgiving Proclamation, October 23, 1913: "We have seen the practical completion of a great work at the Isthmus of Panama which not only exemplifies the nation's abundant capacity of its public servants but also promises the beginning of a new age...of co-operation and peace. 'Righteousness exalteth a nation' and 'peace on earth, good will towards men' furnish the only foundation upon which can be built the lasting achievements of the human spirit." In 1977, President Jimmy Carter signed the treaty giving away the Panama Canal.