- Whitney Hopler Live It Editor
- 2002 19 Apr
The violence, stress, and intimidation that terror brings can make you feel helpless. But it is possible to bring hope and justice out of terror, with God's help.
Here are some ways you can overcome terror:
- Strive to become a peacemaker in all your interactions with other people. Pray for the Holy Spirit's help to see people as God sees them and to deal with them with respect and love.
- Ask God to reveal your own inclinations toward terror - your prejudices, your ambitions that tempt you to exploit others, etc. Then confess those attitudes and invite God to transform you through the power of His Spirit.
- Thank God regularly for the freedoms you enjoy.
- Refuse to sanction any type of violence in the name of religion. Remember that Christ Himself was terrorized by religious people during His time on Earth.
- Research the stories of people who have been victims of terror, and take the time to ponder them. Let your heart be moved by their experiences.
- Sound alarms when you encounter injustice. Help make other people aware of terrorizing situations and help those who are being oppressed to get their voices heard.
- Seek to understand people who are different from you - from another culture, generation, race, socioeconomic strata, etc. Get to know them in their uniqueness and work to find common ground with them.
- Forgive people who have hurt you. Seek God's help to do so.
Adapted from Surviving Terror: Hope and Justice in a World of Violence, copyright 2002 by Victoria Lee Erickson and Michelle Lim Jones. Published by Brazos Press, a division of Baker Book House Company, Grand Rapids, Mich., www.brazospress.com, 1-800-877-2665.
Victoria Lee Erickson is a chaplain at Drew University, where she also teaches sociology. Michelle Lim Jones is a Ph.D. candidate in systematic theology at Drew University.
What fears do you wrestle with when you think about the threats of terrorism in our world today? How has God helped you face and overcome your fears? What are some of the ways you're trying to be a peacemaker in your life? Visit Crosswalk's forums to discuss this topic: