We live in a world that has fallen to sin, and as a result, everyone is guilty of something. No one is perfect. Yet one of the great wonders of the Gospel is that God uses imperfect people to spread His glory. Since mankind first took their step outside Eden, God has been calling the broken, the faithless, and the poor in spirit to do great things in His name. Just read the Bible if you don’t believe me.
In fact, Jesus’ ministry was distinguished for using unlikely people to share hope in a troubled world, something Christian blogger Jarrid Wilson recently took note of. While pondering God’s work in his latest post, Wilson wrote,
“I can only imagine how confused the Pharisees and religious leaders must have been while looking at the team of people the proclaimed Savior had gathered together.”
He then followed up this comment by posting a few examples of people God had used for “the greatness of HIS glory.”
- Abraham -Was old.
- Elijah – Was suicidal.
- Joseph – Was abused.
- Job – Went bankrupt.
- Moses – Had a speech problem.
- Gideon – Was afraid.
- Samson – Was a womanizer.
- Rahab – Was a prostitute.
- Samaritan Woman – Divorced.
Christianity is not reserved for the “worthy”, nor does God limit himself to the spiritually pious. The simple truth is we are all battered, bruised beggars at the doorstep of God’s mercy. The author of Romans 3:23 had it right when he wrote,
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
So, where do we go from here? Well, iBelieve editor Kelly Givens recently commented on several ways a person could open themselves to the Holy Spirit. Based around the teachings of Rick Warren and Greg Laurie, these methods included,
- Keeping your heart grateful
- Keeping your mind on Jesus
- Patiently waiting for His timing
- Living by His word
Remember, Jesus has used the smallest people to change the course of history. No matter where we come from, our home is in Christ.
*Ryan Duncan is the Culture Editor fro Crosswalk.com
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Kelly Givens
- Chapterless Bible Project Blows up KickstarterFriday, July 25, 2014
- 9 Must Do's While You're Still SingleThursday, July 24, 2014
- Exciting New Film Tells the Story of Sudan's 'Lost Boys'Wednesday, July 23, 2014
- Christ Can Restore Your 'Locust Years'Tuesday, July 22, 2014
- Disillusionment with the ChurchMonday, July 21, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content