I appreciated the fun response to yesterday’s post about Valentine’s Day. But I’m also aware that February 14th can be a difficult day for many people.
Every Valentine’s Day the world fairly explodes with flowers, chocolate, and the color pink. If love is abundant in your life, those trappings can be a joyful reminder. But for the lonely it can make for a long, difficult day.
For many people, Valentine ’s Day isn’t a celebration of love and romance at all. It’s salt, burning in the wounds of their loneliness. Some have suffered the heartache of a broken relationship or the death of a spouse. Others have never married and still feel the sting of that unrealized dream. And it’s not just the absence of romance that can be painful. Think of kids without a mom or dad who long to be loved by a forever family, or the elderly and infirmed who spend their days all alone.
Love and connection are not fleeting emotions. They’re as vital to our health and well-being as the air we breathe.
- Consider giving them a box of chocolates or a card.
- If appropriate, extend an invitation to a special dinner.
- Give a call to someone you’ve been meaning to connect with, especially a widow or widower.
- Write an email.
- Pray for them!
I can assure you that it won’t take much to lift a lonely person’s spirit, even if it’s only for a few minutes. You’d be surprised what difference small expressions of love can make.
However you choose to express it, I hope you might consider setting aside a few moments to let someone in a tough spot know they’re loved.
Follow me on Twitter @Dalyfocus
Follow me on Facebook
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
About Jim Daly
Jim Daly is president of Focus on the Family and host of its National Radio Hall of Fame-honored daily broadcast, heard by more than 2.9 million listeners a week on more than 1,000 radio stations across the U.S. He is husband to Jean and father to Trent and Troy.
Recently by Jim Daly
- A Favorite QuoteFriday, May 17, 2013
- Are You a Fan or a Follower?Thursday, May 16, 2013
- If You Want Your Kids to Pass Finals, Don't Let Them Do ThisWednesday, May 15, 2013
- How You Can Spot Body Image Issues in Your TeenTuesday, May 14, 2013
- No Glee in GuiltMonday, May 13, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content