Posted by Jim_Daly Oct 10, 2011
The eternal and almighty God, our Lord, it is Who gives to all who walk in His way, victory over things apparently impossible, and in this case signally so, because although these lands had been imagined and talked of before they were seen, most men listened incredulously to what was thought to be but an idle tale. But our Redeemer has given victory to our most illustrious King and Queen, and to their kingdoms rendered famous by this glorious event, at which all Christendom should rejoice, celebrating it with great festivities and solemn Thanksgivings to the Holy Trinity, with fervent prayers for the high distinction that will accrue to them from turning so many peoples to our holy faith; and also from the temporal benefits that not only Spain but all Christian nations will obtain.
Note: Angel was the treasurer of the Kingdom of Aragon. Historians believe Columbus intended this letter to be seen by Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon. The full text of the letter is available by clicking here.
Happy Columbus Day!
Follow me on Twitter @Dalyfocus
Follow me on Facebook
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Daly
- Give the Gift of Family this ChristmasFriday, December 06, 2013
- 5 Things Christians Can Learn from AdoptionThursday, December 05, 2013
- VIDEO: Boys, BB Guns and ChristmasWednesday, December 04, 2013
- VIDEO: Troubled Boy Has a Dad-Sized Hole in His HeartTuesday, December 03, 2013
- One-Hundred Year-Old Wisdom About Living a Joyful LifeMonday, December 02, 2013
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content