When it comes to parenting, American parents are increasingly on their own.
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development studied 27 industrialized countries and revealed yesterday that the United States has the highest proportion of single-parent households, at 25.8 percent. It's a percentage that has been on the rise, the organization's report said.
Experts point to a variety of factors to explain the high U.S. figure, including a cultural shift toward greater acceptance of single-parent child-rearing.
The world average for single-parent households stands at 14.9%.
Following the United States, Canada has the second highest percentage of single-parent households at 22.1%. The country with the lowest percentage of single-parent households is Greece, at 5.3%
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- The Web Blasts Past One Billion WebsitesFriday, September 19, 2014
- What's Hot? 09/19/14Friday, September 19, 2014
- Destiny Sales Fall Short of the HypeThursday, September 18, 2014
- Focus On Dangers of Caffeine Powder Is IncreasingWednesday, September 17, 2014
- Gameplay Broadcasting May Be the New Big Thing in Streaming EntertainmentTuesday, September 16, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content