When it comes to parenting, American parents are increasingly on their own.
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development studied 27 industrialized countries and revealed yesterday that the United States has the highest proportion of single-parent households, at 25.8 percent. It's a percentage that has been on the rise, the organization's report said.
Experts point to a variety of factors to explain the high U.S. figure, including a cultural shift toward greater acceptance of single-parent child-rearing.
The world average for single-parent households stands at 14.9%.
Following the United States, Canada has the second highest percentage of single-parent households at 22.1%. The country with the lowest percentage of single-parent households is Greece, at 5.3%
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Liebelt
- Court Rules Parents May Be Liable for What Their Kids Post on FacebookTuesday, October 21, 2014
- Another Study Finds Teens Still SextingMonday, October 20, 2014
- What's Hot? 10/17/14Friday, October 17, 2014
- Authoritarian Mothers Linked to Increased Teen Alcohol UseThursday, October 16, 2014
- More Than 80% of Children Lie About Their Age to Use Social Media SitesWednesday, October 15, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content