Ten Ways We Rely on God’s Grace
By Rick Warren
“For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.” (Philippians 2:13 NLT, second edition)
As Christians, we tend to think about grace when it’s connected to our salvation. But grace is about much more than just how we come to Christ. Our entire Christian walk must be fueled by the grace of God.
We can do nothing in him or for him that doesn’t ultimately come from his grace. The Bible says, “For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him” (Philippians 2:13 NLT, second edition).
In fact, grace brings 10 great benefits to our lives:
- We’re saved by grace. The only way to Heaven is through the doorway of grace. You can’t earn it. You can’t work for it. You can’t buy it (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- We’re forgiven by grace.Though we don’t deserve it, God wipes our slate clean by his grace (Isaiah 43:25).
- We’re sustained by grace. God will never ask you to do anything he doesn’t give you the ability and the power to do. That power and ability is called grace (Philippians 2:13).
- We’re healed by grace.God heals our broken hearts and binds up our wounds even though we don’t deserve it (Psalm 147:3).
- We’re liberated by grace. Our relationship with Jesus isn’t a bunch of chores to do. Instead it’s about resting in what the Lord has already done. If your Christian life is not a life of resting in Christ, you’re moving into legalism (Matthew 11:28-30).
- We’re given talents by grace.God has given each of us the ability to do something well, and we’re to use those abilities for him (Romans 12:6).
- We’re used by grace. God uses us to fulfill his purposes in this world, not because of anything we’ve done but simply through his grace (Ephesians 3:7).
- We’re kept saved by grace.We cannot lose our salvation because it’s a gift of God. If you could earn it, then you could lose it the moment you stopped earning it (Jude 1:24).
- We’re transformed by grace.Through his grace, God makes us new through the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2).
- We’re matured by grace.God’s work of making us more like Jesus happens not because we’ve earned it or by our own effort but by the grace of God (2 Peter 3:18).
God’s grace is real and powerful in our lives. You might look at all these benefits and wonder, “How do I receive God’s grace?” Tomorrow’s devotional will focus on that question.
Talk It Over
- Which of the 10 benefits above do you find the most difficult to accept? Why?
- How can you take one of the benefits of grace mentioned above and help someone else understand and apply it in his or her life?
- What does knowing the benefits of grace give you the confidence to do or change in your life?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit rickwarren.org
The secret to being happy no matter what is looking at every experience and circumstance you face from God’s viewpoint. When you go through difficult times joy becomes a choice you make minute by minute. Written by Pastor Rick’s wife, Kay Warren, this Devotional book is the perfect tool to help you stay focused on God’s word and see things from His perspective. Each devotion begins with a much needed encouragement from Scripture, followed by Kay's wise words on how to live with joy. Each devotion ends with a short prayer to help bring you closer to the source of all joy—our loving God.
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.