Forgive Because You’re Forgiven - Daily Hope with Rick Warren - November 2, 2016
Forgive Because You’re Forgiven
By Rick Warren
“Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (Colossians 3:13b NLT, second edition).
The Bible says there are three reasons you have to let go of your past and the people who’ve hurt you, and the reasons have nothing to do with whether that person deserves it or not.
1. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because God has forgiven you. Colossians 3:13 says, “Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (NLT, second edition). If you want to be a forgiving person, you need to first accept the forgiveness of God through Jesus Christ. The Bible said that God came to Earth in human form in Jesus in order to forgive everything that’s ever been done wrong. He paid for it so we don’t have to. That’s Good News!
2. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because resentment controls you. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:9, “Only fools get angry quickly and hold a grudge” (CEV).
Resentment makes you miserable, and it keeps you stuck in the past. And when you’re stuck in the past, you are controlled by the past. Every time you resent something, it controls you. Some of you are allowing people who hurt you five, 10, or even 20 years ago to hurt you to this day. That’s stupid. Don’t let it happen. They can’t hurt you any more. Your past is past. You’ve got to let it go.
3. You have to forgive those who’ve hurt you because you’re going to need more forgiveness in the future. Jesus said in Matthew 6:14, “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins” (NIV). Forgiveness is a two way street. You cannot receive what you are unwilling to give.
Talk It Over
- In what situation do you need to offer forgiveness so that you can move on from your past?
- What is a sin that you believe you could never forgive?
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Escape the “crazy”!
Many of the people in your life can make you crazy!
You don’t have to let the crazy makers keep you from the life God wants for you. And you don’t have to shut them out either! Reclaim your peace, and learn to build healthy relationships today.
The Crazy Makers Study Kit (6 session DVD and workbook) is our gift to thank you for your online donation below to help support the Daily Hope broadcast.
Get yours now; we appreciate your prayers and support.
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can also listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.