Have You Met Your Creator?
Genesis 1: The first words the Bible opens are the Creator introducing Himself to us, His creations. "In the beginning God . . . "
John 1: The Gospels start and Jesus is introduced as the Creator announcing His coming to earth "In the beginning was the Word . . .all things were made by Him . . . and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us".
Revelation 10: The last words of the Scripture as human history concludes when the Creator returns to earth to take His place as King of kings and Lord of lords! Revelation 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: (KJV)
Have You Met Your Creator?
That meeting will begin when you start to listen to His voice. Our text in Psalm 19:1-6 explains that our Creator God has revealed Himself in two ways. In nature and in His Book, the Holy Scriptures!
Psalm 19 Magnifies God's Revelation of Himself
1. In v. 1-6 through CREATION God is revealed in a general way. (general revelation)
2. In v. 7-14 the SCRIPTURES reveal God in a special way. (special revelation)
· In v. 1-6 through CREATION God is revealed in a general way. (general revelation)
o We have already learned that "general revelation" is nature as it reveals and magnifies the wondrous character of our Almighty God . Note what Paul says in the New Testament:
§ Romans 1: 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
· NEXT OUR CREATOR REVEALS THAT HIS NAME IS JESUS! What does Ps 19:1-3 teach?
o We know that the "glory" the heavens declare are in the fullest sense, no less than our Lord Jesus Christ.
· NEXT OUR CREATOR REVEALS WHAT HIS CREATURES NEED - SALVATION!
o What does Psalm 19:4a teach? "Their line is gone out through all the earth."
§ Paul quotes this verse in Romans 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. (KJV)
§ Jesus said He was John 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (KJV)
§ But Jesus sadly affirms John 3:19-20 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (KJV)
· FINALLY OUR CREATOR REVEALS HIS CREATURES' ONLY HOPE - JESUS! What does Psalm 19:4b-5 say? “Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world . In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, 5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.” The two metaphors (bridegroom and runner) seem out of place. But isn't Jesus our Bridegroom from Heaven and He who waits to come at His time to our home with Him?
JESUS IS GREATER THAN OUR SUN
· The sun consumes 4.2 million tons of hydrogen each second, and turns it, via thermonuclear fusion, into helium heat and light. That's 8.4 billion pounds of heat...
· Do you know what 1 pound of matter turned to heat can do? We call it a hydrogen bomb. Its power is measured in MEGATONS or millions of tons of TNT explosive power. One pound of matter turned to pure heat can raise 20 million tons of rock by 2500 degrees Celsius and cause it to glow as incandescent lava. Nothing can approach energy unleashed that powerfully.
· A piece of the sun the size of a flake of dandruff or a white fleck of lint on your clothes that was in
· It only takes eight minutes for that light to get to the earth from the sun. It travels 93 million miles in those minutes. To generate that light and heat, the sun consumes 4 million tons of itself each second. It is 864 thousand miles in diameter and won't burn out for a long time though. The energy radiated from the Sun in one second is more than all the energy used on the earth since creation!
· Now hold onto this one. The sunlight and heat you felt on a hot July or August day is only 1/2 of 1/billionth of the sun's radiant energy. 93 million miles of space and a hundred miles of atmosphere and all the other buffers God has put there keep us shielded. But, with that in mind consider Revelation 1:16 and his 'JESUS' countenance [was] as the sun shineth in his strength . (KJV)
JESUS IS AS INESCAPABLE AS OUR SUN! What does Psalm 19:6 teach? His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. (KJV)
· And note the significance of the statement that "there is nothing hid from the heat thereof." This refers mainly to the sun's effect on the earth, and scientists now know that the heat energy transmitted to the earth by solar radiation empowers all activity on earth, either directly (e.g., winds, rains) or indirectly (plant life through photosynthesis, and therefore also animal and human life). Through "fossil fuels" derived from buried organisms, it even drives our machinery. It is significant that the science which deals with all these energy transfers is called thermodynamics (meaning "heat power") and its two basic laws are the best-proved and most universally applicable laws of science.
o These two laws testify plainly to the existence and power of God. The Second Law (the law of decreasing available energy, as the universe heads downward toward an eventual "heat death," with the sun and stars all burned out) tells us that there must have been a primeval creation, or else the universe would already be "dead"! The First Law (law of energy conservation) tells us that no energy is now being created, so the universe could not have created itself. The only scientific conclusion is that "in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (Genesis 1: 1).
· Here also, the sun is a beautiful type of Christ, picturing both the Living Word and the Written Word of God. He is the eternally begotten Son of God, everlastingly proceeding from the Father and declaring Him (John 1:18), while the Holy Scriptures 'for ever settled in heaven" (Psalm 119:89), can continually sustain our spiritual lives, just as the sun does our physical lives.
· As marvelous as God's witness in the creation may be, it can never bring lost men to salvation. The sun may sustain their lives, but it can never save their souls.
For more from Discover the Book Ministries, please visit discoverthebook.org.