Mark tells of Jesus' early ministry in Capernaum.
When a paralyzed man is brought to Jesus, He says, "Son, your sins are forgiven you" (Mark 2:5). The scribes are incensed. No one can forgive sin but God, and they do not believe that Jesus is God. In response, Jesus says, "Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'?" (Mark 2:9).
Of course, it is easier to say that your sins are forgiven. After all, who can verify if it is true? So, to prove that He is God and has the power to forgive sins, Jesus says to the paralytic, "Arise, take up your bed and go your way to your house" (Mark 2:11). Jesus' miracles are often timed strategically to demonstrate the validity of a central truth which He is teaching.
· Rejoice in the fact that Jesus will forgive your sins, and offer Him praise:
Inasmuch as there is none like You, O Lord (You are great, and Your name is great in might),
Who would not fear You, O King of the nations?
For this is Your rightful due,
For among all the wise men of the nations,
And in all their kingdoms, there is none like You
Praise the Lord!
Blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
Who delights greatly in His commandments
· Pause for personal praise and thanksgiving. As you seek to keep your life free from sin, pray this confession:
Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight --
That You may be found just when You speak,
And blameless when You judge
· As you contemplate the Lord's mercy, confess any sins which the Holy Spirit brings to your mind. Now pause to pray this affirmation to the Lord:
I shall know the truth, and the truth shall make me free (based on John 8:32).
· As you make your requests known to the Lord, pray for:
· greater commitment to walk in the ways of the Lord,
· blessings on the work of a specific Christian ministry,
· your activities for the day.
· Offer this closing prayer to the Lord:
But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord God,
That I may declare all Your works