10 Christian Virtues We Need to Revive
- Carrie Lowrance Crosswalk Contributor
- 2016 18 Oct
We are called to be an example in our society, to guide others in the way of the Lord, although the virtue of society has gone out the window. We are meant to live by example in everything we do.
Christ like character includes being honest, loving everyone (even those who are hard to love), being kind and having self-control, to name a few. Here are 10 Christian virtues we need to revive if we are to thrive and lead by example.
1. Love - We all have different opinions on things and different views, but we have to love each other regardless. This includes people from all walks of life, no matter what their skin color is or what situation they are in. People desperately need to see the love of Christ shining through us.
2. Honesty - We have to return to honesty. Nothing ever good comes of lying and people still do it. We need to take the high road and be honest in everything we say and do.
Proverbs 11:3 says, The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.
3. Sexual Morality -The most loving act between a husband and wife has been degraded to just a ‘feeling’. Sexual immorality has destroyed Christians and non-Christians alike and it is heartbreaking. It destroys people mentally, and emotionally. Purity and its benefits need to be revived again in our society.
1 Corinthians 6-18-20 says, Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit,who is in you, who you received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price.Therefore honor God with your bodies.
4. Trust - There is a great lack of trust in society today in many areas. As Christians, it is important to cultivate a community of trust amongst our friends, believers and nonbelievers alike. We need to know that we can trust one another with our problems, secrets and concerns. Non-believers need to know they can trust us with their problems and issues as well, to know they will not be ridiculed or judged.
SEE ALSO: 20 Bible Verses for New Beginnings
Titus 2:7 says, In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness.
5. Kindness - In the era of the world wide web, social media, and the way we live today, kindness is hard to find. It is more common to digest the negative rather than the positive. No matter how hard the situation, we need to act in kindness. We need our brothers and sisters to be able to count on it and non-believers to know where they can find it.
Galatians 6:10 says, Therefore, as we have the opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially those who belong to the family of believers...
6. Faith - It is hard to keep the faith in difficult situations. It is hard not to lean on your own thoughts and feelings at times. But we always must remember that the Lord knows what is best and will help us avoid any snares on the path we are on. We must always put our faith in Him when it comes to the path He puts us on.
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make straight your paths.
7. Hope- It is hard to find hope in the times we live, there is always something terrible going on somewhere. We need to restore our hope through prayer that even the smallest things will get better and to constantly read and trust in His Word too.
Romans 12:12 says, Be joyful in hope, be patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
8. Charity - We live in a very self-centered society. I think it is important that we bring back charity in the sense of having concern for others. Everyone thinks of charity as the donation they give at Christmas time. But charity is so much more than that. It’s cleaning out your closet and donating it to a free clothing giveaway. It’s making a meal for a family during a hard time. It is lending a listening ear to someone’s troubles or encouraging and speaking life over someone in a way they have never heard before. Charity is more than just a monetary donation, it is a way of life.
Hebrews 13:16 says, And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased
9. Responsibility - In this sense, we are all responsible for our actions. When consequences are rendered, we need to take responsibility. We need to set the example. We need to show people that we are not perfect and that we make mistakes too.
Galatians 6:5 says For each one shall carry his own load.
10. Compassion - Believers need to teach our society compassion. There are many people who have fallen on hard times and many more to come. It breaks my heart when people lash out with statements like “Oh, he must be out on the street because he’s on drugs.” or “She must be on the street because she is an alcoholic.” Yes, sometimes this is true, but not always. Sometimes people lose their jobs or their homes. Sometimes people suffer from mental illness and can’t function in life due to either not being on medication or not being on the right balance of medications. Our society is so quick to judge one another. We as Christians need to set the example and have compassion for all people.
Galatians 6:2 says, Carry one another’s burdens, and in this way you fulfill the law of Christ.
Are you struggling in one or more of these virtues? That’s why I’m so glad we serve such a loving and merciful God. If this is you, please use these words to call out for help.
I long to honor you in everything I say and do. I long to treat those around me as You would. Yet, sometimes I struggle in some areas and I need Your help. I long to be a good example for those around me and sometimes I fail. Lord, I ask that You will help me in all these areas so that I can grow and become the role model in You that You want me to be. The role model in You that I want to be. Please guide my mind and emotions from here on out. In Your name I pray. Amen.
Carrie Lowrance is a freelance writer and author. She has been featured on Huffington Post, She Is Fierce, Parachute and The Frugal Farmer. She has also published two books of poetry and one children’s book, and she writes her own personal finance blog at www.freelancebylowrance.com.
Publication date: October 18, 2016
Image Courtesy: Thinkstockphotos.com