How to be a Spiritual Father (or Mother)
- Wednesday, June 13, 2012
For the sake of completeness, I want to list some of the characteristics of each of the first three levels.
- tend to fight and argue among themselves (1 Corinthians 3:1-3)
- sometimes drop out early because they can’t handle the persecution that comes with following Christ.
- sometimes drop out early because earthly distractions are so alluring.
- are often spiritually lazy and neglectful
- are many times so full of themselves that they rarely seek the Father’s guidance
- often imagine that whatever they don’t already know and experience is not really necessary.”
- usually fail to mature because the cost is too high
- experience God as little more than an acquaintance or at most a casual friend
- know that their sins are forgiven and that God is their father
- are refocusing their eyes from Earth to Heaven
- often show signs of immaturity--like hypocrisy
- are dependent on others for their care and feeding
- are still learning how to apply the Bible to their lives
- struggle with commitment
- understand little about biblical beliefs and doctrines
- tend to be fearful and insecure
Spiritual Young Men And Women:
- exercise their spiritual muscles by constantly utilizing the spiritual disciplines
- experience the “Word of God” (both Jesus and the Bible)
- fight Satan on his own territory and win
- have an “others-centered” mentality
- develop generous hearts that excel in the grace of giving.
- know the truth of who they are in Christ
Dr. Roger Barrier recently retired as senior teaching pastor from Casas Church in Tucson, Arizona. In addition to being an author and sought-after conference speaker, Roger has mentored or taught thousands of pastors, missionaries, and Christian leaders worldwide. Casas Church, where Roger served throughout his thirty-five-year career, is a megachurch known for a well-integrated, multi-generational ministry. The value of including new generations is deeply ingrained throughout Casas to help the church move strongly right through the twenty-first century and beyond. Dr. Barrier holds degrees from Baylor University, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and Golden Gate Seminary in Greek, religion, theology, and pastoral care. His popular book, Listening to the Voice of God, published by Bethany House, is in its second printing and is available in Thai and Portuguese. His latest work is, Got Guts? Get Godly! Pray the Prayer God Guarantees to Answer, from Xulon Press. Roger can be found blogging at Preach It, Teach It, the pastoral teaching site founded with his wife, Dr. Julie Barrier.
Publication date: June 13, 2012
Recently on Ask Roger
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content