What Does Or Does Not Belong In A Christian Worship - Answers for Church Members- November 20
How should we decide what does or does not belong in a Christian worship service?
- For some Christians, the answer to this question seems painfully obvious: “God gives us freedom to worship him however we want. We should do whatever the Holy Spirit inspires us to do—after all, we don’t want to quench the Spirit!”
- But what if someone wanted to worship God by bowing down to an image of him?
- Okay, so maybe there are some things we shouldn’t do in the name of worship, like sin. But does that mean that as long as we’re not sinning, we can worship God however we want?
- Not quite. The Bible indicates that in our corporate worship, Christians should do only those things that God positively requires of us, whether by command or inference. Several lines of biblical evidence support this position:
- God alone has the right to determine how he is to be worshiped (Leviticus 10:1-3; John 4:20-26; 1 Corinthians 14).
- The second commandment forbids not only worshiping something other than the one true God, but worshiping the one true God in a way he has not commanded (Exodus 20:2-6).
- Given: faith is a believing response to God’s revelation. Given: whatever is not from faith is sin (Romans 14:23). Therefore: God will not accept any worship that is not a believing response to his revelation.
- Given: the New Testament requires Christians to assemble regularly (Hebrews 10:25). Given: Christians must not be required to submit to man-made rules and practices (Colossians 2:16-23). Therefore: any church that effectively requires gathering Christians to participate in a practice that God has not positively enjoined is unlawfully binding those Christians’ consciences. In other words, because Christians’ consciences must be kept free from human requirements, no church has the right to corporately worship God in a way he has not warranted.
- How then do we decide what does or does not belong in a Christian worship service? We examine the Bible to discover what God has said Christians should do when they gather. Then we do all the things God says to do and nothing more.
For more great resources from Mark Dever and 9Marks Ministries, visit www.9marks.org