Today’s Thoughts: How to Have a "Quiet Time" with God
The following is taken out of our Daily Disciples Prayer Journal & Daily Disciples Building Divine Devotional Time Book.
Many of us struggle to find time in our busy schedules to do one more thing, but spending time with the Lord should be a priority not a “one more thing.” Finding time to be alone with God must become a part of our daily lives, a habit, a routine, like taking a lunch break. The rewards far outweigh and outlast anything else that we can do.
Here are some of our ideas to help you make your “quiet time” a habit…
Choose a time and stick with it…whatever time you choose, make it a priority. You can put up sticky notes to remind yourself on the bathroom mirror, car dash board, by the telephone or even on the refrigerator. It takes 21 days of doing something consistently to make a habit.
· Morning—set your alarm 15 minutes early
· Lunch—eat lunch with the Lord, maybe in your car or at a park
· Afternoon break—spend that 15 minutes with your Bible and journal
· Evening—go to bed earlier just to read and pray
Choose a place…some place where you can be alone and not distracted. Choose a consistent place where you can keep all your materials. And you want a place that you go to often.
· Your office, Your car, Any room in your home, Maybe outside
Open with a prayer …start talking to God and asking Him to hear your heart.
· Refer to “How to Pray” for tips on praying on http://www.dailydisciples.org/ website
· Be honest with the Lord and tell Him how you are doing
· Focus on Him first, then on your needs
· Keep your time frame in mind, if you are limited for time
Open your Bible…depending on your available (try not to short cut this time), pick a reading plan that you will follow everyday
· A daily Bible plan is recommended (Yearly Bible, Chronological Bible)
· Try to read slowly and meditate on the words
· Look for those key words or verses that “pop out” to you
· Pray as you read
Keep a Prayer Journal…write down any notes on the verses and your prayers
· Write down your thoughts, questions, personal insights
· Dates and times are recommended
· Notebooks and bound journals are recommended instead of loose-leaf papers
· Do this routine daily for one month and the habit should be well established.
We encourage you to have a quiet time with God. That is how your relationship with God will grow. Be sure that you listen with your eyes as you read the Word and then be quiet before Him as your ears will hear His voice. If you are looking for more instruction, we have Bible studies, CDs, DVDs and wrote a book called, “Building Divine Intimacy with God.” They are on our e-store at www.dailydisciples.org.
Our mission is to evangelize the lost and awaken the saved to live empowered lives by the Work of God and His Holy Spirit. Daily Disciples Ministries makes a difference for the kingdom of God by teaching and training believers how to be in God's Word, how to pray and how to walk with Jesus every day, as His daily disciple.
Daily Disciples Ministries, Inc.