There's An App For That: How Do I Grow As A Christian? | 2 Peter 1:8
2 Peter 1:8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
How Can I Grow as a Christian? Develop Godly Qualities.
The Christian life is a partnership with God. There are some things only he can do. Only God can provide our salvation, the strength to obey him, and deliver on his promises. And there are some things that we must do. Peter says that we must take the faith that God gives us and add certain qualities to it (1 Peter 1:5-7). Let’s consider “these qualities” Peter is referring to in today’s passage.
- Goodness—moral excellence.
- Knowledge—spiritual knowledge of the Person of God based on the Word of God.
- Self-control—to have one’s passions under control.
- Perseverance—enduring under adversity without giving up or in.
- Godliness—demonstrating a reverence for God.
- Brotherly kindness—caring for others.
- Love—desiring the highest good for others.
These qualities don’t just happen. They are ingrained in our hearts and demonstrated in our lives as we submit to the Spirit’s control. God gives us all we need to do what he has called us to do…and he expects us to do our part to get it done.
Lord, we cannot obey you without your strength. And we must obey you with the strength you provide. Help us to understand and live out the balance of our partnership with you. In Jesus name. Amen.