God’s Design for the Family | Genesis 2:24
Genesis 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Marriage is God’s idea. He created man and woman and put them together. God’s instructions for this relationship are found throughout the Bible, but here in Genesis the foundation is laid. Over the past two days we have considered what it means to “leave” father and mother and be “united to” one’s spouse. Today let’s consider the meaning of a one-flesh relationship.
A ONE-FLESH RELATIONSHIP DESCRIBES:
- Spiritual Oneness: Growing together in your love for Christ.
- Emotional Oneness: Commitment to exclusive feelings.
- Physical Oneness: An exclusive intimate physical commitment.
- Missional Oneness: Going the same direction at the same time for the same reasons.
Questions to consider:
1. Do you pray and read Scripture together? 2. Do you think about being with men/women other than your spouse? 3. Are you satisfying each other physically? 4. Are your lives headed in the same direction?
Questions for young adults:
1. Has he/she ever said to you, “Let’s pray and read Scripture together?” 2. Can you see yourself with anyone besides him/her? 3. Are you staying sexually pure? Is there pressure to have sex? 4. Do you have common interests, desires and passions about life?
Father, bind us together in a true one-flesh relationship. Harness our hearts as we commit ourselves to go the same way at the same time for the same reasons. In Jesus’ name. Amen.