Today's Word for Pastors...
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Today's Preaching Insight...
"The Church is called to be a Christ-centered community of diversity. Its very life proclaims the power of God to overcome the divisions that set people against each other. In his letter to the Galatians, the apostle Paul announced, 'In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus' (v. 3:28). The church is to live as a people touched by Gods grace and no longer defined by the divisions that plague the world.
At least that's what God expects. But that is not what we find in far too many cases. Too often the divisions of the world are brought right into the church. Instead of reflecting the light of Christ, we mirror the broken world. Women are discriminated against, racial segregation persists and whenever an international conflict arises, those in the church are frequently uncritical cheerleaders for our nation's side in the hostility. But on top of all that, the church has its own problems with diversity. Differences in practice and opinion become occasions for distrust and fragmentation.
Among ecumenically minded Christians, unity in diversity has been one of our strong values. But as I recently heard it said, we sing our hosannas to the principal, but in practice too quickly we hear the cries, 'Crucify him, crucify him.' No matter how much we claim that we value diversity, living with it is tough work."
(From Diversity: Living with Diversity, Romans 14:1-9 by Craig M. Watts. To read the entire article on Preaching.com, click here).
Does Anyone Actually Proofread Church Bulletins?
The Sermon Fodder newsletter frequently offers a new batch of bulletin bloopers gathered from across America. Here's a sample:
- Don't forget, Ash Wednesday is Monday, March 5th.
- Several members of our youth department are collecting donations for Operation Graduation. Funds will be used for a drug and alcohol party following graduation on May 29th.
- Additional volunteers are needed for next week's Easter Egg Nog Hunt.
- We will have a Church-wide Christ-centered Easter Egg Hunt next Saturday for Toddlers through Grade 6. We are accepting candy and individually wrapped monetary donations in the office.
- The Seniors group will be heading off to the festival bright and early Friday. We hope to see your smiling feces at 7:00 a.m. when the bus departs.
- The Baby shower will be at 2:00 p.m. Saturday. All ladies invited. No clothing needed.
- Please be in prayer that authorities will catch the thieves who have been breaking into area churches in recent months. There was a break-in at the Open Door Baptist Church last week. Burglars entered through a rear window.
(from Bulletin Bloopers 2003 PT. III, by Sermon Fodder and Joke A Day Ministries. To subscribe drop an email note to [email protected].)
Preaching magazine is the premier resource for those who proclaim the Word. To begin your own subscription go to http://magazine.preaching.com/subscribe/.