Today's Word for Pastors...
And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.
1 Thessalonians 2:13
Today's Preaching Insight...
Does Marriage Still Work?
Do we simply say that marriage is a human idea, predicated on human ingenuity, going through an evolutionary process and as it hasn't worked we'll move on to alternate lifestyles? Or do we say that marriage is a divine idea predicated on creation principles, as fundamental and vital to human well-being as natural laws are fundamental and vital to the orderly survival of the planet? The church needs to decide where it comes down on the issue, not just in theory but in practice!
Of course, if we insist on the biblical view of marriage in the churches, there is a great need for us not only to defend it but we must practice it in such a way that people will not be able to say, "Marriage doesn't work." Because when done God's way, marriage most emphatically does work!
(To read the entire sermon "Building Godly Marriages and 'God Kids'" by Stuart Briscoe at Preaching.com, click here)
This Week's Laugh
Here are some disclaimers to be found at a toy department near you:
- No beanies or babies harmed in the manufacture of this product.
- Warning: This fad will disappear in 6 weeks.
- Caution: Care Bears do not actually care very much.
- Warning: This toy produces substantially less childish glee in real life than it does in the TV commercial.
- Some dismemberment may occur.
- In case of breakage, scream until dad buys a replacement.
- Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously.
- Use as an actual terrorist device not recommended.
- Do not attempt to combine your Ultra Mega Warrior with your cat to make Ultra Mega Cat Warrior.
- NOTE: The makers of "Queen Amidala's Naboo Dream Palace" assume no responsibility for the quality of the movie which spawned it.
- Some assimilation required. Resistance is futile.
(from Pastor Tim's PearlyGates List — http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh)
Preaching magazine is the premier resource for those who proclaim the Word. To begin your own subscription go to http://magazine.preaching.com/subscribe/.