Today's Word for Pastors...
God "will give to each person according to what he has done." To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Today's Preaching Insight...
Wouldn't it be a comfort to have somebody like Superman watching out for us? Got a flat and no jack? No problem for the Man of Steel! He can pick up the car, hold 'er steady while we change the tire, and never even break a sweat!
But why waste such a magnificent creature on small stuff? Save him for when we're stricken with a fatal disease. Why, he can fly into the future, retrieve the cure, and be back before one second has ticked by! (George Reeves never did that, but the comic book hero used to all the time).
Did Mom and Dad break up? Superman can fix it. Am I saddled with some fear or compulsion, habit or addiction? You know the Man of Tomorrow must be able to help!
After all, that's why they call him "Superman," isn't it?
But, let's face it; reality is more steel than Superman will ever be made of. And fantasizing does little to salve our suffering.
Well, what about God, then? He's real, isn't He?
(To read the article, "Is Anybody Up There?" by Gary Robinson in its entirety at Preaching.com, click here)
This Week's Laugh: Proverbs from Fourth Graders
A 4th-grade teacher collected well-known proverbs. She gave each child in the class the first half of the proverb, and asked them to come up with the rest. Here is what they came up with:
- Better to be safe than... punch a 5th grader.
- Strike while the... bug is close.
- It's always darkest before... daylight savings time.
- Never underestimate the power of... termites.
- You can lead a horse to water but... how?
- Don't bite the hand that... looks dirty.
- No news is... impossible.
- A miss is as good as a... Mr.
- You can't teach an old dog... math.
- If you lie down with dogs... you will stink in the morning.
- Love all, trust... me.
- The pen is mightier than... the pigs.
- An idle mind is the... best way to relax.
- Where there is smoke, there's... pollution.
- Happy is the bride who... gets all the presents.
- A penny saved is... not much.
- Two is company, three's... The Musketeers.
- None are so blind as... Helen Keller.
- Children should be seen and not... spanked or grounded.
- If at first you don't succeed... get new batteries.
- You get out of something what you... see pictured on the box.
- When the blind lead the blind... get out of the way.
- Laugh and the whole world laughs with you; cry... and you have to blow your nose.
(from The Daily Dilly)
Preaching magazine is the premier resource for those who proclaim the Word. To begin your own subscription and get a free year of issues, go to http://magazine.preaching.com/subscribe/.