My Stronghold | Psalm 18:1-2
I love you, LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
David had been anointed as the king of Israel, but Saul did not read the e-mail blast. The king God had rejected was obsessed with killing the competition. Saul and his best soldiers were chasing David around the countryside. After a close call, David wrote the words in today’s passage thanking God for delivering him.
He declares the Lord as his:
- Strength - David knows the energy to keep going comes from God.
- Rock - God is a great boulder that we can hide behind in life’s fierce storms.
- Fortress - Think high, thick, impenetrable walls. Think protection.
- Shield - This defensive armor deflects all the flaming arrows of the devil.
- Horn - An animal’s strength was found in their strong horns. God is our strength.
- Deliverer - Ultimately God liberates us and brings freedom.
Psalm 18 was not the last time that God delivered David from Saul, but David lived one day at a time declaring the great attributes of his great God. So can you.
Father, thank you for today’s strength, protection and deliverance. I’ll be back tomorrow in need of the same things. In Jesus’ name. Amen.