In Touch Daily Devotional
by Dr. Charles Stanley
March 29-30, 2008 – Living Out Our Unity in Christ – Ephesians 4:4-6
Jesus knew the importance of harmony both in the church and in believers’ personal lives. In one of His last recorded prayers, He asked the Father three times for unity among Christians (John 17:11, 21-22).
In today’s passage, Paul teaches that there are several aspects to our unity as believers:
• One body. God adopts people into His family without regard for race, gender, or denomination. Faith in Jesus Christ is all that matters. Everything that divides human beings is insignificant (Galatians 3:28).
• One Spirit. All Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. We’re different on the outside, but as believers, we all have the third member of the Trinity inside to empower and guide us.
• One hope. As believers, we share in a common hope—the return of the Messiah and a future life in heaven with Him.
• One Lord. Jesus’ lordship extends over all people. We are to acknowledge and submit to His authority in every area.
• One faith. Believers are united in one faith, which is founded on several basic truths: Jesus is God incarnate; born of a virgin, He lived a sinless life, died in our place, rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. Reconciliation with God is possible only through faith in the saving work of Christ. We can do nothing to earn our own salvation.
By learning to see what we have in common, we can more easily overlook differences. Seeing our unity, people will be ready to hear the good news that God offers a way to have peace with Him and with others.
This Bible combines the wisdom of Scripture with the principles that guide Dr. Stanley's life and empower his ministry. Order your copy.