As I lay in bed, I instinctively, lovingly, rested my hand on my pregnant belly. Little did I know as I felt the kicking of my unborn baby that in just a few short minutes my life would be changed forever.


The time was getting nearer for our baby to be born. I had been having contractions all day, and I figured our baby would be born either in the night or the next day when I went to my scheduled appointment.


I got up to use the bathroom. Anyone who is pregnant knows that this is a ritual done virtually every night in the latter stages of pregnancy. Go to the bathroom, go to bed, wait 10 minutes, get up to use the bathroom, and the cycle continues.


As I sat on the toilet, I began to get excited as I thought my water had broken. But the flow didn't stop. I began feeling chunks come out. I called for Steve to come in and turn on the light.


My fears were confirmed. I had been filling the toilet with blood. As Steve called 911, I fell onto the floor.


I knew at that moment, I was probably going to die. I even told Steve I was going to die. I was not fearful, just matter of fact. I don't remember thinking about our children at that point, but I did not want to leave Steve.

I wish I could say it was like the movies where the world stands still for a moment as a man cradles his wife's body in his arms as she whispers her final words, "I love you," to him. But this isn't the movies. There are arrangements that must be made. Steve called a sitter to come stay with the children and then he called my sister to pray.


By now the ambulance had arrived. The paramedics gave me oxygen, put an IV in my arm, and began pumping fluids through my veins. I began to feel better, but I was pretty sure I was not going to make it. I was not frightened. In fact, I really felt quite peaceful.


A second ambulance came. The intention was to load me up, meet another ambulance, and switch me to it; however, the third ambulance was only six miles away, so we waited for it.


The big dilemma was how to get me down the stairs. Do paramedics only deal with people on ground floors? Their biggest fear was that I was going to deliver the baby. At one point, one of the ambulance crew put the pulse monitor on my finger.


"Ow!" I groaned.


The paramedic got a little panicky and asked, "Are you having the baby?"


"No, you pinched my finger." We all chuckled.


I was worried my children would wake up, but none of them stirred from their rooms, so I assumed all the children were asleep. Little did I know, Ashley was wide-awake in her room. She knew that was the best place for her to stay. She watched from her window as I was placed into the back of the ambulance. She even took a picture of the ambulances in the driveway. She thought it was the last time she might ever see me. After we were gone, Ashley came out of her room and prayed with the sitter.