- 2004 4 Apr
Home School Legal Defense Association is over 70,000 families, supported by more than 60 dedicated staff members, who have banded together to ensure that our rights and our freedoms are protected. Our mission since our founding in 1983 has been to defend and advance the constitutional rights of parents to direct the education of their children.
We’re here for your family
When you’ve got a problem that needs immediate attention, we’re just a phone call away—24 hours a day. HSLDA enables our members to homeschool their children in peace and freedom. Our membership coordinators, legal staff, and special needs coordinator can answer your legal questions as you carefully plan and establish your homeschool.
Cases we handle
If a government official challenges your right to homeschool, HSLDA is there as your advocate, fully representing you at every stage of your legal proceedings. HSLDA pays all litigation costs for homeschool cases we undertake.
Each year, thousands of member families receive legal consultation by letter and telephone, hundreds more are represented though negotiations with local officials, and dozens are represented in court proceedings. HSLDA also takes the offensive, filing actions to protect members against government intrusion and to establish positive legal precedent.
In child abuse and neglect investigations, we will provide members with initial consultation and full representation for the homeschooling portion of the case. Once the homeschooling issues are resolved, however, we do not guarantee representation.
In third-party custody cases (brought by a grandparent or other relative), HSLDA will provide members with defense for the portion of the case relating to homeschooling. Although we do not take divorce or custody cases, we do provide a helpful packet of legal information and, when there is an opportunity to set precedent, will file an amicus brief on behalf of the homeschooling parent.
HSLDA will take non-member cases for free if we decide the case could potentially affect the rights of all homeschoolers.
Your information source
E-lerts — Timely messages keep you current on “hot” legislative issues and homeschool news.
www.hslda.org — Our website is open 24 hours a day.
Home School Court Report — Our bimonthly newsletter-magazine.
Home School Heartbeat — HSLDA’s daily radio program features authors, commentary, and issue updates.
Special Needs Coordinator — Counseling and helpful materials for members (see www.hslda.org/hs/specialneeds).
Protecting homeschooling worldwide
Homeschooling in the Military—HSLDA provides a complete range of services to American homeschooling members in the military worldwide.
American Citizens Residing in Other Countries—Although we cannot represent American families in foreign courts of law, we do advocate changes in public policy and write letters on behalf of American homeschoolers.
The wisdom of experience
With nearly 20 years of defending homeschooling families, HSLDA gives you the confidence to teach your children without worrying about legal challenges.
A neighbor to your homeschooling “neighbor”
Scripture says that we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. Even if your family never needs to call HSLDA, your membership helps other homeschooling families who desperately need us! Each year, thousands of families are able to confidently step into the unknown of homeschooling because they know they've got friends like you standing beside them.
REASONS TO JOIN
Your membership with Home School Legal Defense Association provides you with:
- Professional legal representation to protect your right to homeschool. As homeschooling fathers, our attorneys share your commitment to home education as a legal right, educational opportunity, and spiritual blessing. One hundred percent of legal fees and associated costs are paid by HSLDA.
- A brotherhood of 70,000+ families standing together to protect and advance homeschool freedoms—in the United States and foreign countries.
- Assistance with social service contacts or investigations resulting from allegations of abuse or neglect. HSLDA membership benefits do not extend to court actions resulting from non-homeschooling matters.
- Quick action when freedoms are threatened. Using email and our website, HSLDA provides up-to-the-minute news regarding federal and/or state legislation that impacts homeschool and parental freedoms.
- Valuable discounts. HSLDA has negotiated discounts on products and services we believe you will find truly beneficial. For more information, go to the HSLDA Member Discounts Page.
- A voice in Washington, DC, reminding the federal government that it has no jurisdiction over homeschools and keeping homeschooling legal and safe, now and for the future.
- Monitoring of all state legislation that could reduce your homeschooling freedoms.
- A positive image in the media. HSLDA presents an engaging, informative, and dynamic picture of the homeschooling community to the public and the media.
- Support for homeschooling organizations, both state and local support groups, by providing information, regional and national leadership seminars, and networking.
- Research and analysis. HSLDA funds research to investigate the characteristics and results of homeschooling and to provide statistical data for use in the courts and legislatures.