Start Your Homeschool Year Supported
- Wednesday, September 20, 2006
"But without faith it is impossible to please him (God)" (Hebrews 11:6).
"And we know that all things work together for good
to them that love God" (Romans 8:28).
How To Avail Yourself of the Lord's Wonderful Support
Sadly enough, we all too often fail to receive the gracious gifts of our Lord for various reasons.
- We get into the habit of trying to meet our own needs, forgetting to turn to the Lord.
- The physical world can seem more real to us than the unseen spiritual world.
We can correct this habit and misperception and find our Lord's aid and fellowship in the following ways:
1. Spend time daily in reading, studying, memorizing, and meditating on God's Word.
Morning, noon, and night is not too much.
- Morning - Have your private time with the Lord.
- Noon - Read, study, or memorize Scripture in your school time or at the lunch table.
- Evening - Have family Bible reading at the table or before bed with Dad.
It is in his written revelation to us that we meet the Lord and he speaks to us.
The law of the Lord is perfect,
Restoring the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure,
Making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
Rejoicing the heart
2. Fill your life with good Christian music
Music is a powerful influence in our lives. Both the words and the style of the old hymns of the faith carry a message that honors the Lord and reminds you of him and his attributes.
Although constant background music can be distracting and lose its impact, there are many times during the day that listening to, or singing, Christian songs can turn your thoughts to the Lord.
You might want to lead your children in a chorus or hymn each time you read from God's Word.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;
teaching and admonishing one another
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
3. Talk to the Lord frequently throughout the day
It might be hard to visualize the Lord beside you all day long, but if you engage in conversational prayer with him throughout the day, you will be reminded of, and comforted by, His presence.
Be anxious for nothing,
but in everything by prayer and supplication
let your requests be made known to God
Look for Support at Home
Your family comprises a support group for you, your husband, and your children. Here is how you can give and receive support right at home.
1. Start with Yourself
Set Realistic Expectations
God does not ask us to do more than we are able. It is up to us to make sure we don't load ourselves down with extra projects of our own devising that he did not intend.
- Don't get carried away with extra-curricular activities; you need to be home to home school!
- If you are overwhelmed already, consider some of our suggestions for efficient school schedules in our Back-to-Home-School Checklist.
- Cut back and slow down until you can manage your goals. It is better to do a little well and then add more back in as you can.
Maintain Your Health
Recently on Homeschool Update
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content