Stop, Drop, and Roll! A Fire Safety Unit Study
- Monday, November 02, 2009
• How are fires fought in space? Research the Apollo spacecraft fire.
• Smokey the Bear has been the icon for preventing forest fires since 1944. Draw a picture of him.
• The Great Fire of London started September 2, 1666. Find out where this fire started and what happened.
• Take a tour of your local fire department. October is a busy time due to fire safety week, so perhaps you want to pick a different month for this one. One thing that we often have tried to do on the off months is to make cards and bake cookies to let them know that we appreciate the service they provide. About 73% of firefighters in America are volunteers. Did you know that Ben Franklin started America's first Volunteer Fire Department in 1736? It was called the Union Fire Company.
• Research and see if you have any fire museums in your area that you can visit.
Jodie Wolfe and her husband have been married for twenty years. They have been homeschooling their two sons for twelve years. Jodie likes reading, writing and leading ladies Bible studies. She also enjoys encouraging women through her blog, Digging For Pearls at http://diggingforpearls.blogspot.com
Originally published in Home School Enrichment Magazine. Now, get a FREE subscription to HSE Digital by visiting www.HSEmagazine.com/digital Every issue is packed with homeschool encouragement, help, and information. Get immediate access to the current issue when you start your FREE subscription today!
Recently on Homeschool
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content