Is Your Marriage Good – Or Just Good Enough?
- Monday, January 07, 2008
- In what ways has your marriage relationship slipped into cruise control?
- How might you have conveyed to your spouse the attitude that your marriage is “good the way it is”?
- How many books on Christian marriage have you read in the last month? the last year?
- What else have you done to grow as a husband or wife?
- When was the last time you went away together for a day or two to talk and pray about your marriage, close the loop on any offenses between you, set goals for yourselves as a couple, and just have fun together?
So, here’s the drill. Take the initiative this week to get your relationship off cruise control and rekindle your marriage dream. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Do something different just to snap yourselves out of the status quo. For some ideas, see our book 40 Unforgettable Dates With Your Mate. It contains more than two hundred stimulating questions to prompt marital communication, 40 date ideas, and great ways to meet the love needs of your spouse.
- Take your spouse to a restaurant you have never visited before, or prepare a meal that has never been on your menu before.
- Sit down with your spouse after the kids are in bed and say, “I want to tell you something about myself, something that you probably don’t know.” Then share a pleasant childhood memory; a dream vacation you would like to take with him or her someday; a genuine, original, never-before-shared compliment for your spouse. Ask your spouse to share a memory or dream you have never heard before – then listen with interest.
- Ask, “What pleasurable event or experience from our past can we try to experience again?” Make plans to relive that experience.
Remember, the first step to a great marriage is deciding not to settle for just “good enough!”
Portions of this article were adapted from "Renewing Your Love," Copyright 2003 by Dr. Gary and Barbara Rosberg, all rights reserved. Published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., www.tyndale.com. To order this resource or to find our more about Dr. Gary and Barb – Your Marriage Coaches, visit www.drgaryandbarb.com or call 1-888-608-COACH.
Married over 30 years, the parents of two adult daughters and five grandchildren, Dr. Gary and Barb Rosberg, your marriage coaches, have a unique blend of insight and wisdom that touch people of all ages. Together with Gary's 25,000 hours of counseling experience and Barbara's gift of encouragement and biblical teaching, they are equipping thousands of families across the nation through their interactive daily radio program, conferences, and marriage and family
Recently on Marriage
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content