Why Adulthood Equals Marriage AND Singleness Is Still a Gift
- Wednesday, October 13, 2004
So instead of taking offense at Dr. Mohler’s words, I suggest we singles should be glad he is calling pastors and single adults alike to make changes. Right after the New Attitude conference, I saw a number of single men respond to his charge to make getting married a priority — and several engagements have resulted in my church alone. Praise the Lord! I rejoice with my newly engaged friends. But I am more grateful that these friends were already making the most of their single years as active, fruitful members of our church. Because of this foundation, I have every expectation they will continue to glorify God and build His church as married couples.
Marriage is the norm, both biblically and experientially, for most people. So Dr. Mohler is right in exploring why there is an ever-growing number of unmarried Christians singles. Our churches should uphold a high view of marriage, and we singles should graciously applaud those efforts. But let’s not forget it is a temporary institution; the Bride of Christ, the church, is the enduring one and every Christian — married or single — is gifted for her benefit.
Carolyn McCulley is the communication specialist at Sovereign Grace Ministries and the author of" Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? Trusting God with a Hope Deferred" (Crossway). She is also a member of Covenant Life Church, where she is active in the singles ministry. For more information, please log onto www.carolynmcculley.com.
Hear it for yourself …
- The original interview for pastors with Dr. Mohler and Joshua Harris is on the Nine Marks Ministry website, www.ninemarks.org in the audio archives.
- Dr. Mohler’s New Attitude message, “The Mystery of Marriage,” is carried in full on his website, www.albertmohler.com. (If you heard only the version on FamilyLife Today, I would highly encourage you to hear all the teaching that preceded this excerpt.)
- The excerpt of the New Attitude message and Dennis Rainey’s reaction to it on FamilyLife Today can be heard in the broadcast archives of www.familylife.com.
- The New Attitude message for single women, “Trusting God with a Hope Deferred,” can be downloaded or purchased from the Sovereign Grace Store at www.sovereigngracestore.com.
Read it for yourself …
Dr. Mohler’s columns responding to those who heard his excerpted message on FamilyLife Today, “Looking Back At ‘The Mystery of Marriage’—Part One” and “Part Two” are archived in the Crosswalk.com Weblogs archives.
Camerin Courtney’s reaction to the FamilyLife Today program was written for Christianitytoday.com’s singles channel, “Is Singleness a Sin?”
Recently on Singles
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content