Dads: Prepare Your Children for Life
- Whitney Hopler Live It Editor
- 2002 14 Jun
Here are some lessons you can teach your children to prepare them for life:
- Let them know that God loves them unconditionally, and rely on Gods grace to help you love them unconditionally as well. Dont ever make your affection dependent upon your childrens performance. Open and frequently express your love for them.
- Discipline your children lovingly yet firmly so they can grow.
- Help your children discover their unique talents and encourage them to develop those gifts and use them to contribute to their world.
- Point your children to the greatest hero of all, Jesus Christ. Show them how He models the kind of character you want them to have.
- Explain the importance of sexual purity to your children, and let them see you live that out faithfully in your own life.
- Pursue integrity in every aspect of your life. Illustrate what it means to be an honest, reliable person who truly trusts God.
- Encourage your children to frequently read and memorize Scripture so it can become a part of them.
- Participate regularly in church as a family, and build meaningful relationships there so when your kids are adults theyll understand the importance of fellowship.
- Teach your children about money. Encourage them to be generous, avoid debt and greed, and learn contentment.
- Show your kids how to respect their elders and understand why its important to give honor to those who have more experience in life.
Adapted from 10 Things I Want My Son to Know: Getting Him Ready for Life, copyright 2002 by Steve Chapman. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Or. Buy this book at your local bookstore or by clicking on the link below.
Steve Chapman and his wife, Annie, are musicians who take their message of Christ-centered family to fans all over North America. Steve has two children and has authored several other books.
What lessons are you trying to teach your children, and why? Visit Crosswalks forums to discuss this topic by clicking on the link below.