Recipe for Cleaning Clothes
- Wednesday, May 18, 2005
1. Build a fire in the backyard to heat kettle of rain water.
2. Set Tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if windy.
3. Shave one whole cake of lye soap in boiling water.
4. Sort clothes, make three piles: one pile whites, one pile colored and one pile work britches and rags.
5. To make starch, stir flour in cool water till smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
6. Take white things, rub dirty spots on washboard, scrub hard and then boil. Rub colored, don't boil, just rinse and starch.
7. Take things out of kettle with broomstick handle, then rinse and starch.
8. Hang old Rags on Fence.
9. Spread tea towels on grass.
10. Pour Rinse water in flower bed.
11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
12. Turn tubs upside down.
13. Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs, brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
Hang this above your automatic washer and when things look bleak, read it again and again.
Recently on General Humor
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content