Idolatry Starts in the Heart
Dr. Ray PritchardDr. Ray Pritchard is the president of Keep Believing Ministries, in Internet-based ministry serving Christians in 225 countries. He is the author of 29 books, including Stealth Attack, Fire and Rain, Credo, The ABCs of Christmas, The Healing Power of Forgiveness, An Anchor for the Soul and Why Did This Happen to Me? Ray and Marlene, his wife of 43 years, have three sons-Josh, Mark and Nick, three daughters-in-law--Leah, Vanessa, and Sarah, and seven grandchildren. His hobbies include biking, surfing the Internet, and anything related to the Civil War.
- 2016 Jun 01
Idolatry lies in the worshiper, not in the thing worshiped. A golden calf is not an idol by itself. Left to itself, a golden calf is just a golden calf. It becomes an idol only when we begin to worship it. It is a wrong attitude that turns something good into something bad.
- Don’t blame your car if you aren’t happy. It’s your fault that you trust in your car to give you satisfaction.
- Don’t blame your boy friend if you aren’t happy. It’s your fault that you look to him to make you happy.
- Don’t blame your spouse if you aren’t happy. No husband or wife can make you happy all the time.
- Don’t blame your boss if you aren’t happy. He’s not responsible for your happiness.
- Don’t blame your children if you aren’t happy. God never meant for you to look to them as the source of your happiness.
- Don’t blame your new house if you aren’t happy. No house can provide ultimate happiness.
- Don’t blame your church if you aren’t happy. No church can make you happy.
Happiness comes from a living relationship with Jesus Christ. He alone can satisfy the deepest needs of your life. Looking anywhere else for ultimate happiness is really just a sophisticated form of idolatry.