Posted by Jim_Daly Oct 16, 2012
Civility is not the same thing as niceness.
The high stakes of politics can produce intense disagreements. But manners — even cold, formal ones — communicate a modicum of mutual respect and preserve the possibility of cooperation. John Stuart Mill called democracy “government by discussion.”
Michael Gerson, as quoted in The Washington Post, October 15, 2012
Follow me on Twitter @Dalyfocus
Follow me on Facebook
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Recently by Jim Daly
- Are We Bullies on a Social Media Playground?Wednesday, July 23, 2014
- Do Kittens Have a Mentor?Tuesday, July 22, 2014
- GUEST POST: The Qualities I Thought My Future Husband Should HaveMonday, July 21, 2014
- Relationships: Inconvenience or Divine Appointment?Friday, July 18, 2014
- Marriages and WisdomThursday, July 17, 2014
Recently on Crosswalk Blogs
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content