What is the Role of the Holy Spirit in the Church Today?
- Thursday, June 28, 2012
- Stop sinning. However, when we do sin, we confess our sins to God (1 John 1:9). We must be empty of self and clean and pure in order to be filled.
- Seek to live every moment in the Kingdom of God on earth (Matthew 5:6 and 6:33). A.W. Tozer said, “Every man is just as spiritual as he wants to be.”
- Walk in the Spirit by making every effort to respond positively to the Spirit's promptings and leadings. Listen and when He speaks, do what He says (Galatians 5:16).
- Pray to become a spiritual man or woman at any price (1 John 2:12-14).
- Leave the results to Him and experience and enjoy walking hand in hand with Jesus (John 10:10; and 1 John 1:7).
As you can see, Osten, the Holy Spirit is busy. He has a lot to do in fulfilling His role in the church today.
Now imagine that you have an empty glove. It's floppy and flimsy. Put a hand in and immediately the glove takes on life. I put on the glove and begin playing the piano and what happens? Chaos! I don't know how to play the piano. But, let my wife put on the glove and play the piano. Sweet music ensues. Julie knows how to play the piano.
Of course, we are the empty glove. When empty, our lives are flimsy and floppy. but when the Holy Spirit slides into the glove, the beautiful life begins.
Well, Osten, I hope this helps to answer your question. May you experience the filling of the Spirit more than you ever imagined possible.
Dr. Roger Barrier recently retired as senior teaching pastor from Casas Church in Tucson, Arizona. In addition to being an author and sought-after conference speaker, Roger has mentored or taught thousands of pastors, missionaries, and Christian leaders worldwide. Casas Church, where Roger served throughout his thirty-five-year career, is a megachurch known for a well-integrated, multi-generational ministry. The value of including new generations is deeply ingrained throughout Casas to help the church move strongly right through the twenty-first century and beyond. Dr. Barrier holds degrees from Baylor University, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and Golden Gate Seminary in Greek, religion, theology, and pastoral care. His popular book, Listening to the Voice of God, published by Bethany House, is in its second printing and is available in Thai and Portuguese. His latest work is, Got Guts? Get Godly! Pray the Prayer God Guarantees to Answer, from Xulon Press. Roger can be found blogging at Preach It, Teach It, the pastoral teaching site founded with his wife, Dr. Julie Barrier.
Publication date: June 28, 2012
Recently on Ask Roger
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content