Reforming or Conforming?
- Thursday, November 06, 2008
24. Grenz, Renewing the Center, 84.
25. Stanley Grenz, Revisioning Evangelical Theology: A Fresh Agenda for the 21st Century (Downers Grove, IL.: InterVarsity Press, 1993), 70. D. A. Carson correctly observes, “This is, to say the least, decidedly un helpful. Quite apart from the extraordinary complexities of linking Scripture and tradition in this way, the addition of culture is astonishing. One might hazard a guess that Grenz has read enough to recognize that the interpreter cannot escape his or her own culture, and therefore has put down culture as a norm or source of theology, without recognizing the minefield he has created for himself. . . . His openness to Tillich’s method of correlation is not reassuring. With the best will in the world, I cannot see how Grenz’s approach to Scripture can be called ‘evangelical’ in any useful sense” (D. A. Carson, The Gagging of God: Christianity Confronts Pluralism [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996], 481).
26. Charles A. Briggs, The Bible, the Church, and the Reason (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1892).
27. Charles A. Briggs, Church Unity (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1897), 244.
28. Charles A. Briggs, General Introduction to the Study of Holy Scripture (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1900), 570. I have developed this in greater detail in my chapter, “Warfield and C. A. Briggs: Their Polemics and Legacy” in B. B. Warfield: Essays on His Life and Thought, ed. G. L. W. Johnson (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2007), 195–240.
29. The entire Auburn Affirmation document is online at http://www.pcahistory.org/documents/auburntext.html.
30. This article originally appeared in the July 15, 1946, issue of The Southern Presbyterian Journal. It was subsequently reproduced in tract form and went through at least three printings in that form. The original Journal article and a collection of Dr. Clark’s papers can be found at the PCA Historical Center’s Web site, http://www.pcahistory.org/documents/auburnheresy.html.
Copyright © 2008 by Gary L. W. Johnson and Ronald N. Gleason
Published by Crossway Books, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers
1300 Crescent Street Wheaton, Illinois 60187
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the publisher, except as provided for by USA copyright law.
Recently on Books
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content