Apocalyptic Road Winds to a Hopeful Place
- Wednesday, November 25, 2009
More than anything else, The Road is a picture of a father's fierce love for his son. It's a vivid account of the precious lives God has entrusted to us, as well as the sacrifice He made on our behalves (John 3:16). However, the characters' actions are sometimes disturbing and desperate, so parents who choose to journey along this Road would be wise to leave their young sons and daughters at home.
Questions? Comments? Contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Language/Profanity: Lord's name taken in vain; "son of a b-tch"; "hell"; the "f" word several times toward the end of the film, including "mother------"; "sh-t."
- Smoking/Drinking/Drugs: Father drinks whiskey and offers some to his son; father smokes.
- Sex/Nudity: A married couple shown in night clothes; man's backside is shown more than once; boy is bathed in a tub; father is shirtless.
- Violence/Crime: Fears of cannibalism; skulls and bones shown; the feet of several bodies are shown dangling, and the boy asks his father why the people killed themselves; the father carries a gun with two bullets—one for himself, one for his boy, when/if the time comes for him to act; father shows the boy how to put the gun in his mouth and pull the trigger; the father always reaches for the gun when waking; marauding gang carries guns; man points a gun at another man who's urinating; a man flashes a quick, threatening smile at a young boy, then explains that he eats whatever he can find; a knife is put to a boy's neck and blood is seen on his neck; a man is shot; the father says he'll kill anyone who touches his son, because that's his job; a woman worries that she and her son will be raped, killed and eaten; boy wishes he were dead so he could be with his deceased mother, and says something similar about his father; gang of people in a cellar attack other humans; blood in a bathtub; gun is cocked and pointed; sounds of screaming from within a house; boy strikes his father; skeleton in a bed; skulls on sticks; blood in the snow; falling trees; man vomits up blood; a thief is forced to strip and return the things he stole; man is shot in the leg with an arrow.
- Marriage/Family: Pregnancy and birth of boy are pictured in flashback; a husband discards a photo of his deceased wife and removes his wedding band; a wife leaves her husband and boy behind.
- Religion: A man says that if his son is "not the word of God, then God never spoke"; boy encourages father to give thanks before they eat; the father puts his hands together in a praying gesture, and they thank the people who left them food; a discussion of whether God would know about what's happened on earth, and a skeptical response from one of the participants; speculation on how the father would have made the world if he were God.
Recently on Movies
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content