Otherworldly Avatar Familiar in the Worst Way
- Friday, December 18, 2009
- Language/Profanity: Lord's name taken in vain; foul language; a man in a wheelchair is referred to as "Special K" and "meals on wheels"; Na'vi are referred to as "savages"; "kiss my …"
- Smoking/Drinking/Drugs: Multiple scenes of smoking.
- Sex/Nudity: The Na'vis' breasts and buttocks are partially covered; a sex scene is shot from above and involves kissing and caressing; a crude reference to "local tail."
- Violence/Crime: Dead body of robbery victim is shown; the Na'vi fire poison-tipped darts at avatars; Sully is grabbed by a creature, tossed, then jumps off a cliff; dog-like creatures attack Sully, who fends them off with a torch; one creature is shot with an arrow; the creature's neck is pierced with a knife; Sully falls off a horse-like creature; destruction of forest and Na'vi environment; gunfire; a knife fight; a Na'vi is impaled; punching; a person points a gun into the neck of a guard.
- Religion: A colonel tells his men, "If there is a hell, you might want to go there for a little R&R"; a tree is said to be sacred, home to "very pure spirits"; the Na'vi deity is a goddess named Eywa, whose will is interpreted by a Na'vi mystic; the Na'vi fear "demons"; the Na'vi have a "spiritual leader, like a shaman"; Eywa is "made up of every living thing"; Na'vi are said to embrace "tree-hugger crap"; the Na'vi say everyone is born twice; a holy tree is called a "place for prayers to be heard—and sometimes answered"; a Na'vi worship service of sorts, at their holy tree.
Recently on Movies
Of Shrimp & PolyesterAsk Roger: How do we know which OT laws to still follow?
A Heart for At-Risk Women7 practical ways you can reflect Christ's love for the abused
A Gossip-Free Zone5 ways you can declare yourself free of spreading strife
What's Up with THAT?The world finds our beliefs incredulous. We should offer answers
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Example: "Gen 1:1" "John 3" "Moses" "trust"
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content