So-So Planet 51 Gets a Boost from Much Better Movies
- Friday, November 20, 2009
And sadly, that statement pretty much sums up its value in terms of overall entertainment value, too. There are a handful of qualities that make Planet 51 out of this world, but far more that don't, unfortunately. Trust me, those matinee dollars would be far better spent seeing something else.
- Drugs/Alcohol: A young child starts chugging cough syrup when his mother tells him to drink it before the monsters get him (once a "monster" really does show up, well, that's when he starts drinking it in mass amounts).
- Language/Profanity: A couple of rude words that aren't technically expletives, plus the substitute of "frickin" for the "f" word.
- Sex/Nudity: When Captain Charles T. Baker changes back into his spacesuit, he's naked in front of the alien kids, one points out how the male anatomy is "a weird place to put an antenna." The camera also liked drawing attention to the ample cleavage of several of the female characters.
- Violence: There are a few gun fights and suspenseful action scenes where several of the characters are in peril. But really it's more cartoonish than truly scary.
Christa Banister is a full-time freelancer writer, specializing in music, movies and books-related reviews and interviews and is the author of two novels, around the world in 80 dates and blessed are the meddlers. Based in St. Paul, Minn., she also weighs in on various aspects of pop culture on her personal blog.
For more information, including her upcoming book signings and sample chapters of her novels, check out her website.
Recently on Movies
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content