Tired Formula Gives Gran Torino Some Mileage
- Thursday, December 25, 2008
- Smoking/Drinking: Drinking; a character has a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer sign; smoking.
- Language/Profanity: A boy makes a joke about body parts as he kneels and crosses himself; offensive racial terms used repeatedly; foul language; Lord’s name taken in vain, even by a priest; verbal descriptions of acts of war violence; derogatory names for females.
- Sex/Nudity: A boy makes sexual thrusting motions toward someone else.
- Violence: Gang members taunt a young man and try to force him to join them; a man trains a shotgun on a thief, and the gun accidentally goes off; a man aims his gun at gang members on his property; a man beats a much younger gang member; a drive-by shooting; a woman is shown after enduring a severe beating; a man punches cabinets and glass, inflicting cuts.
- Faith: A character is challenged to go to confession, and responds, “I confess that I never really cared for church”; an Asian birth ritual involves commands aimed at the spirit of the newborn child; a priest is labeled a 27-year-old virgin who likes to hold the hands of “old ladies” and “promise them eternity”; a priest says he knows about forgiveness and has seen men confess their sins; Hmong people are said to believe that the soul resides in the head; a shaman “reads” a character’s inner thoughts; a man is called a “white devil”; a man goes to confession and later says a Hail Mary; a shooting victim is posed with his arms spread wide, resembling the appearance of Jesus on the cross.
Recently on Movies
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
advertise with us
Example: "Gen 1:1" "John 3" "Moses" "trust"
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content