Tired Formula Gives Gran Torino Some Mileage
- Thursday, December 25, 2008
- Smoking/Drinking: Drinking; a character has a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer sign; smoking.
- Language/Profanity: A boy makes a joke about body parts as he kneels and crosses himself; offensive racial terms used repeatedly; foul language; Lord’s name taken in vain, even by a priest; verbal descriptions of acts of war violence; derogatory names for females.
- Sex/Nudity: A boy makes sexual thrusting motions toward someone else.
- Violence: Gang members taunt a young man and try to force him to join them; a man trains a shotgun on a thief, and the gun accidentally goes off; a man aims his gun at gang members on his property; a man beats a much younger gang member; a drive-by shooting; a woman is shown after enduring a severe beating; a man punches cabinets and glass, inflicting cuts.
- Faith: A character is challenged to go to confession, and responds, “I confess that I never really cared for church”; an Asian birth ritual involves commands aimed at the spirit of the newborn child; a priest is labeled a 27-year-old virgin who likes to hold the hands of “old ladies” and “promise them eternity”; a priest says he knows about forgiveness and has seen men confess their sins; Hmong people are said to believe that the soul resides in the head; a shaman “reads” a character’s inner thoughts; a man is called a “white devil”; a man goes to confession and later says a Hail Mary; a shooting victim is posed with his arms spread wide, resembling the appearance of Jesus on the cross.
Recently on Movies
Begin with a LeapPut into action your spoken desires to follow God's will
The "God Told Me" Break-UpA reader asks about one of the oddest details of Christian dating
5 Ways to Overcome AngerFirst, learn to see the pattern and admit you have a problem
Video: Do We Love "Lucy"?Our editors weigh in on this exploration of intellectual potential
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Example: "Gen 1:1" "John 3" "Moses" "trust"
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content