World Ends, Word Goes on in "The Book of Eli"
- Monday, January 18, 2010
Questions? Comments? Contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Language/Profanity: Lord's name taken in vain; several obscenities, including the "f" word, the "s" word, "go--ammit."
- Smoking/Drinking/Drugs: Drinking in a bar setting.
- Sex/Nudity: None, but Eli wipes down his upper body and reaches down into his pants; a woman shows off her cleavage and tries to lure a man into a trap.
- Violence/Crime: A gun is shown next to a corpse; a cat is shot and killed by an arrow; human skulls; a body shown hanging from a rope; Eli cuts off a man's hand with a sword, then kills several other men who attack him; Eli delivers a death blow to a wounded man; people are shot and killed; a woman is thrown down and assaulted; cannibalism is mentioned; Eli throws a man's head against a bar, causing him to bleed; men are shot through the groin area and upper body with arrows; a bird is shot out of the sky with an arrow; Eli and Solara fall through a trap door; an extended gunfight between Eli's friends and Carnegie's men; grenade explosions; a man is shot in the gut at point-blank range.
- Religion: A man is told that he'll be held to account for the things he's done; a reference to the Fall and to God's curse in Genesis 3, just before Eli kills several people; Eli says grace with Solara, and later she says grace with her mother and Carnegie; Eli says he grew up with the Bible and knows its power; Carnegie wants to use the Bible as a weapon, a way to keep people under his sway; Eli is said to be "protected somehow; Eli says he reads the Bible every day, and he recites psalm 23; Eli says a voice led him to find the Bible, to take it to the West, and that he'd be protected; Eli says God is good all the time; the message of Scripture is said to boil down to doing more for others than you do for yourself.
Recently on Movies
Have something to say about this article? Leave your comment via Facebook below!
Listen to Your Favorite Pastors
Add Crosswalk.com content to your siteBrowse available content