October 5, 2009
You Are Not an Accident
Sarah Jennings, Crosswalk.com Family Editor
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:25-27
Did you know…
- You have two basic types of proteins in your body? Fibrous proteins make up your skin, hair and nails, and do not dissolve in water. Globular proteins exist in your blood and cells - they are water soluble. If the two switched, you would dissolve the first time it rained.
- The pH of your body fluids is between 7.35 and 7.45? If it got too high or too low, you would get very sick and die. Thankfully, your body has chemical buffer systems as well as mechanisms in the kidneys and respiratory system to keep your body fluids' pH within the narrow range required for life.
- Your body is made up of approximately 75% water? Unlike many other liquids, water can mix with, dissolve, and transport vital nutrients, chemicals, and proteins which sustain life.
- Your eye sockets contain a layer of fat that acts as a cushion to protect your eyes every time your rub them?
- When you cut yourself, cells attach themselves to the wall of your blood vessels and send signals that other nerves and cells respond to, resulting in clotting? When the tear is properly sealed, more signals go to your brain to put an end to the clotting process. All this happens with no thought or effort on your part!
If there's one thing studying the human body has taught me, it's this: you and I are not accidents. Our bodies have very specific, complex designs. The other day, in the middle of his lecture, my professor (an M.D.) stopped explaining the various proteins of the body and exclaimed, "And to think: there are crazy people out there who claim our existence is random!"
The truth is, you and I are children of God, made in his image. And our Father, the Creator, definitely knew what he was doing when he created us! Whenever I get anxious, whenever I feel like the world is just a spinning mass of chaos and heartache, I remind myself that God indeed has a plan… and we can see evidence of his careful designs all around us if we look closely enough.
Not only does God have a plan for the world, but he has a plan for you and me. Even though the human body has some universal characteristics, there are no repeats: there's only one person exactly like you in the world, and that's you. Not even my identical twin is perfectly identical to me.
Intersecting Faith & Life: Do you have fears about the future or about something going on in the present? Entrust your life to God. He has a design for your life.